Typographical hyphen not displaying in browser

[Split from this thread at OP request - aerozol]

I haven’t really followed or completely read this thread but I wanted to post a screenshot relevant to edit Edit #96642333 - MusicBrainz

I changed the typographically correct hyphen to a regular dash because it shows up as a garbage character on edit pages. I’m using Mac OS and Brave (basically Chrome) so nothing unusual about my setup.

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 6.52.58 AM

1 Like

That’s kinda weird. Brave on a Win10 box is showing a normal “typographically correct hyphen”.

What’s it look like in other browsers like Safari?

Interesting to notice the apostrophe is looking pretty bland and upright too. What language is it set to?

1 Like

Apparently the font which your browser is using for MusicBrainz does not support the Unicode hyphen. The selection of available fonts depends on your OS and the browser may pick one without support for this character because the fonts which MB prefers are not installed.

@admins Can you please move the posts about this general MB/browser display issue out of the support thread for my userscript? (Thanks!)


It seems a relevant question: If this is a common problem for ‘out of the box’ browsers then should we really be applying these dashes? I think it’s likely that this userscript is the only way they get added.

1 Like

It’s the first time it’s reported, we should see exactly what is @EvilGnome6 using.

  • Mac OS
  • Brave

Other users of either Mac OS or Brave, have apparently not this problem, so…

What versions?
Maybe a larger capture would help?


To be clear, it’s only the edit pages that show it as garbage. This looks fine:

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 6.00.49 AM

These look fine:

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 6.01.48 AM

But when I click on the “Edit” page it turns to garbage:

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 6.02.31 AM

It’s only when rendering these dashes in an input field.

1 Like

Could you right-click the input field then Inspect element?

Then take a picture of what you see in Computed tab where you filter with the word font:


We see here that it is taking Times New Roman, in my case, to render this HYPHEN (because it is not found in Arial).

It’s only tangentially related to the script. The same (long-standing) issue can be observed for other characters on other sites


This should hopefully be fixed once and for all in Chrome 111 which will be released in 2 weeks


Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 8.37.56 AM

1 Like

For reference, the same Win10 PC with Brave (version1.48.158 Chromium: 110.0.5481.77)

Note - the top text is copy\pasted from the “bad” example in the first link. You can see the difference as this “typographical correct” hyphen sits lower on the page when compared to the one on the Work. Difference can also be seen with the apostrophe’s too.

1 Like

Thank you @EvilGnome6.
Your screen capture shows that the browser thinks it has the hyphen character available in Arial font and uses no substitution.
This is the bug found by @chaban, indeed.


I add hyphens and apostrophes on Windows using my numpad.