Trilogy — aggregate work or series?

Sometimes authors publish their works in triology—a set of three works involving the same characters or setting. Triology can be seen either as a single work or as three individual works, and sometimes creators of trilogies may later add more works. Should I add a parent work for the triology and link to individual work using “parts” relationship or a series of works?
Relevant Wikipedia page:

1 Like

Good question. I think we might need a little more info. Is this just a general question or do you have a specific release(s) in mind. You might review the edit notes on this entry: https://musicbrainz.org/release/5ada92f5-ae39-4078-8ad1-1d111af821aa/edits to see if anything jumps out at you.:grinning:

I’m referring to fiction novel triology. For example The Hunger Games triology, should we create a work or a series for it?

Not sure about Bookbrainz/Musicbrainz approach, but librarians would definitely treat it as an aggregating work of art. If it’s not some kind of a bundle made by a distributor, but a (finite) creative concept from an author, then yes, surely it constitutes a separate work.

1 Like

I would create a series for the hunger games (I thought I had when adding info for the audio books).

1 Like