Translation and instrument aliases

Is there a way to integrate translation of instruments on Transifex with the alias system on MusicBrainz? It seems to be a duplication of effort to maintain both.

2 Likes

Instruments do have alias attributes in multiple languages so you can see if there is a name in your language.
Instruments also link to wikidata and from there there is the wikipedia page in multiple languages so you should be able to use the page name as the name of the instrument in that language.

The point is that the names are also included as part of the text to translate when translating the website. Which is indeed a bit odd. @Bitmap or @yvanzo, how doable would it be to make them use existing aliases?

1 Like

It should be solved with MBS-7830: Replace entity names with aliases which requires a schema change, that is, it won’t be solved for six months at the very least.

1 Like

As someone who hopes to translate the server as well as being the Instrument Inserter, I definitely approve of this reduction of dupliction :​​D

[quote=“yvanzo, post:4, topic:277621, full:true”]
It should be solved with MBS-7830: Replace entity names with aliases which requires a schema change, that is, it won’t be solved for six months at the very least.[/quote]

No problem for me, that it would even be 6 to 12 months is… well, totally ::+1:
:!

It is quite the contrary: once MBS-7830 gets implemented, translation would be totally on you.

This case is different than all others though in that no other entity names are being included in .po files and made translatable. Since we have the MBID of the instrument, couldn’t we already use that to display a translated name (alias) rather than the .po translations even without a schema change?

Yes, schema change actually is about adding “native primary aliases” which are not absolutely required for now in the case of instruments. But no other entity names are being replaced by aliases either, that’s why I would prefer to implement MBS-7830 at first, and then to make a specific case for instruments starting from a new code base.