Tracking down an old ripped album using only manually-entered data and a FreeDB disc ID

I’m embroiled in a quest to tag the last few stragglers in my music collection. One of the holdouts is an MP3-encoded rip of a nine-track audio CD that I bought from a Japanese jazz band in 2008. If memory serves, the CD appeared to be self-published (it might’ve even been a CD-R disc), but I ditched all of my plastic several moves ago so it’s impossible for me to refer back to the original material.

I haven’t been able to find any likely matches in MusicBrainz when I search for various combinations of the artist (“Take Band”), release (“Naturally”), or track names (most or all of which are jazz standards, making searches harder). I haven’t found any AcoustID fingerprint matches, either. However, I noticed that I submitted the disc info (which I dutifully transcribed from the CD) to FreeDB back when I ripped it: Take Band / Naturally

My understanding from pages like Disc ID Calculation - MusicBrainz is that MB uses a different calculation than CDDB/FreeDB/GnuDB to compute disc IDs. Is there any way to search for releases using a 32-bit CDDB1 ID (780e4409 in this case)?

I somehow managed to dig up an old file that was generated by the ripping software that I used (Grip 3.3.1) with the hope that it would have enough information for me to manually compute an MB-style Disc ID, but it looks like it omits the lead-out track’s offset, which I think I’d need:

# xmcd CD database file generated by Grip 3.3.1
# 
# Track frame offsets:
#       150
#       33837
#       67238
#       94882
#       121819
#       153628
#       185302
#       215022
#       243063
# 
# Disc length: 3654 seconds

I noticed that GnuDB’s “misc” category has a 2009 release by a Japanese jazz trio with the same track count, total length, and disc ID: Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio / What a Wonderful Trio! [DXD]. The track titles and lengths are completely different, though, so I think it’s just a coincidence.

If I’m not able to dig up an existing entry for this release, should I create a new artist and release? I feel uneasy about adding new entities when I don’t have any physical or online evidence that I can point to in my edit notes beyond the data that I submitted to FreeDB back when I possessed the CD.

1 Like

What about this one?

Take Band / Naturally from Search for Artists and Albums on gnudb.org an alternativ place for the free CD database.

I have a script that imports releases from GnuDb: konami-command/mb_GNUDB-IMPORTER.user.js at master · jesus2099/konami-command · GitHub

2 Likes

Yes, you can search by FreeDB disc ID in the advanced search form. For this specific disc ID it is

https://musicbrainz.org/otherlookup/freedbid?other-lookup.freedbid=780e4409

So also just the bad match you already found, seems to be a collision with two different discs ending up with the same ID :frowning:

The nice thing about the data collected by MB for the MB disc IDs is that it allows also calculating the FreeDB IDs, so one can do a lookup by both the MB disc ID and the FreeDB one.

3 Likes

That’s the information that I submitted to FreeDB back when I ripped the CD. :slight_smile: Thanks for the pointer to the script, though – that’ll come in handy if I end up creating a new release!

2 Likes

I’m resurrecting this old thread to announce apparent success!

Google is still useless, but on a whim, I tried doing a Bing search for "take band" japan. The first result is a video entitled “Take*Band pt1” showing what I think is the same group (minus a guitarist) playing on 2009-05-22 on a street in Shibuya, the same ward where I saw them playing and bought the CD in late 2008.

The video’s description pointed me at http://www.hpmix.com/home/onemudrums/, which is a 404 now but was luckily captured by the Wayback Machine. From this biography, I surmise that the group was named after its drummer, 竹下宗男 / Takeshita Muneo (who doesn’t appear to be in MB).

Best of all, I found this page, which has some text that Google translates as “The new CD “NATURALLY/TAKE*BAND” has been completed! !”. That sounds like the album I have!

I’ll enter some data now that I’ve found proof that I wasn’t imagining all the details.

5 Likes