The General Chatter/Off Topic Thread

Funny you say that, because I made this thread after me and @IvanDobsky were talking about how everything’s on IRC :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I haven’t used IRC in probably close to a decade, and I can’t somehow work out how to get it working properly these days.

What client do you guys use?

I use the web client that’s linked in the MB Contact Us page. :grin:

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Jazmin Bean legal name edits

kinda on-topic, I guess, but I just added a my first broadcast release

it’s the first video aired on MTV, back in 1981. I kinda wonder if I did it right… :sweat_smile:

along those same lines, I found the first two hours of MTV on YouTube. haven’t watched it very far in (got to the first Who video so far), but it’s very interesting~

3 Likes

Moved here from How to link to two Discogs pages with annotations? - #5 by jesus2099

I have been reading quite some Discogs bashing recently*, but MusicBrainz, Wikipedia, etc. all websites are full of errors, it’s normal, by nature.

Discogs is really great website to find physical edition details.
Even as a convinced MusicBrainz user, I usually love Discogs and its content!

3 Likes

Don’t take my Discogs comments as bashing. I contribute to both sites. They just have very different policies. Both are full of great data and it is the mad chasing of strict guidelines that makes both sites great.

I could pick up on MB chasing of mad Grammar and Apostrophe’s if you need me to even things out a bit? :rofl:

2 Likes

I watched it a couple months ago.
I believe it is wrong, I wouldn’t use it as a source.

1 Like

apostrophe’s most users can’t even access

1 Like

the video description says they edited out a couple videos at the request of some of the owners.

still an interesting music time capsule tho~

1 Like

My tip is - copy it from the don’t on the page

2 Likes

I still think that the “guess case” button should be able to identify and fix this but heyho.

1 Like

Hmm, i dont really understand how this entry would be any different from this entry:

It’s the same “video”, would be different in my opinion if it was the buggles singing it live / performing.

Surely you could just add that annotation to the original entry (above)?

2 Likes

Sometimes videos will have different text overlays showing the title (like on the MTV video, recently posted), sometimes no text at all.
This is how music videos can differ, even for the same music video. :mask:

Isn’t that just like “mastering”. Underneath is the same video recording?

‘back in the day’, the actual videos didn’t have the overlay. The video was the video.
The overlay was made based on who was showing the video. Which is why the same video could be shown on another show/channel and the words would look different.

It would be similar to watching tv. Every show airing on ABC tonight will have the ABC logo in the lower right hand corner. Tomorrow, when it airs on the BBC, it will not say ABC. Next month when it hits Netflix, it will not say ABC.
But it is the same video. ABC just happens to want to ruin our screens via screen burn, so they toss out a overlay during their broadcasts.

2 Likes

It could be worse. They could move it all over the screen to avoid the burn-in. :wink:

I would like to add my agreement with what @jesus2099 is saying. Discogs has its problems, but boy does MusicBrainz as well. Unless you love web design and UI from 10+ years ago, in which case I guess it’s perfect (and I know this is a lot of the MB editors ahahaha)

I certainly hope nobody feels pressure to do typographical apostrophes!

But FYI I never touched them until I installed @kellnerd’s script. Now I do em all the time as I go because it’s eeeeasy woo!!

See this ticket! The script that Kellnerd made already has better features than the Guess Case one (highlights changed fields) :exploding_head:

4 Likes

When I mute my tv, it moves the muted speaker icon. Not drastically. Not quickly. But a pixel shift. Over the course of a minute, it moves about 8 inches, and then it starts over.
These channels could do the same.
At least today, I have a tv with an auto-shutoff. So, if I fall asleep, or forget to come home, it doesn’t stay on for a week.

just found another project to keep me from working through my own library…

a very interesting watch for those interested in meme & anime culture from the mid-to-late 2000’s, and probably even for those of y’all who aren’t~

I’m prolly gonna put in a bunch of edits in these artists…

4 Likes