After submitting SXSW 2016 Showcasing artists last November, I decided to give 2013 a shot. Once again the Picard plugin to create a release from ID3 data was invaluable. I had a lot of trouble with the track listing on 2016, and 2013 looked like it was going to be trouble as well. I realized it was due to the duplicate track numbers in the artist-submitted mp3 files. I turned off track numbers in the track parser, and that did the trick.
I added 1210 songs on 7/23 and started the process of going through each track to merge recordings. The primary goal was to ensure I had the correct artists picked. Over the course of the next few weeks, I discovered many incorrect artists, lots of incorrect track names, and one duplicate track. I also occasionally was lured down the rabbit hole of fixing artists’ other releases or adding new ones.
I just finished the last of my 683 edits today (I worked from the bottom up), and there are now 1209 tracks that are mostly matched to existing tracks from the correct artists. There are no doubt still many errors in the listing, but I’m going to leave it to others for now.
There are numerous case errors to fix in the track listing. I stopped doing that because if I merged a recording and tried to change the track case on the same edit, the track listing change would get conflicted once the original recording went away.
Thanks to the authors of the mass merge and merge helpor 2 scripts which I used a lot during this process. I hope this helps others who downloaded the 2013 unofficial torrent and would like to tag their files.