Style Question about credited "artists" on skits

I recently added an entry for the Release/Group Exrcising A Demon | Article I | A Few Left by Bambu. and that led me to wonder about a few questions regarding credited artists.

1. If a credited artist has a spoken part of a track, but not a “performance” per say (they aren’t rapping or singing), should they still get credit? (see track #5: Jumper [Mr. Topak + Bambu)
  2. Is the answer to Q1 any different if the track is just a skit or spoken poem? (See track #1, 3, and 8)
  3. What if the credited “artist” is something really ambiguous like Tracks 1 and 3, where the artist just said “Mom”

I didn’t do a very good job on the first hack at it that I gave, but I’d be glad to edit correctly with some guidance on those questions

If a credited artist has a spoken part of a track, but not a “performance” per say (they aren’t rapping or singing), should they still get credit? (see track #5: Jumper [Mr. Topak + Bambu)

Yes! When viewing the release page:

1. Click Edit relationships.
  2. Under track 5, click Add relationship.
  3. In the “Type” menu, choose Vocals.
  4. In the “vocal” menu, choose spoken vocals.

Is the answer to Q1 any different if the track is just a skit or spoken poem? (See track #1, 3, and 8)

It’s the same. If they are performing a skit or a poem, the credit is once again for “spoken vocals”.

What if the credited “artist” is something really ambiguous like Tracks 1 and 3, where the artist just said “Mom”

That’s okay, you can still add the credit using the relationship editor. If you don’t know her real name, create the artist as credited (“Mom”). If you at least know who’s mom she is, you can add a parent/child relationship between them, and mention this in the disambiguation comment (e.g., Mom, “mother of OJ the Producer”). Otherwise, just write a disambiguation comment that says something like “mother of a member of hip hop group Bambu”.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the response. I’ll fix that up this weekend.

2 Likes