[STYLE-2443] What to do about Bandcamp links that contain no streamable or downloadable content

Here’s an example of what I’m talking about.
If you click through, you’ll notice that the track page contains no option to either buy or stream the track. What should we do about these links? I don’t want to not add them, since they may contain vital information.
So, I propose a ticket to add a fifth relationship for these URLs: “information page.” Suggestions welcome for a better name.

2 Likes

i’ve run into this issue a couple times myself.

i almost feel like discography entry could work for this (don’t quote me on that-- it’s not a relationship i ever use, so maybe that’s totally wrong), but currently you can’t add that relationship to bandcamp links iirc.

2 Likes

There is a download link, just goes to the whole album.

I am in the UK and it offers it to me.

Isn’t this an artist just saying "buy the whole album as it is only €3 ?

Notice how there is also the small print “Stream Forever Under my Blanket”: Forever Under My Blanket that takes you to a page of Spotify, Deezer, etc which again includes a link back to this page.

Info page sounds a good idea. But adding it as a download or stream option isn’t actually incorrect, you are just a few extra clicks away.

1 Like

That’s why I brought this up. The track is available as a single on most platforms.

May just be a typo on Bandcamp? Someone missed an edit? Another reason I’d just link that track page as a normal sales page as you can buy the track that way… just get a few other tracks free for context. :smile:

It seems weird that they’d add the single art to the track and then only make it available as part of the album, though…
Then again, I’m not that familiar with Bandcamp’s culture :woman_shrugging:

The Bandcamp interface makes it easy to add all the detail to individual tracks for an album, but only allow downloads of the whole album:

What’s harder to do is disable streaming for just some tracks of an album on Bandcamp, like they did here… I can’t even find the option, it may have been removed in the meantime, or it’s a pro feature.

Another bit of context: Bandcamp makes it easy to add an album as a pre-order, and then make tracks streamable one by one, so some artists don’t make separate single ‘albums’ on Bandcamp.

Anyway, I’m not sure of the benefit of storing these links? If the Bandcamp link is ‘/track/’ instead of ‘/album/’ then a link to the ‘/album/’ url, from the MB album is fine for me, I can browse to the track details from there.

(but if that’s not useful enough for others then I wouldn’t want to block adding support for those links)

2 Likes

I’ve seen a few cases where the album is not available for download, and only some tracks are available for streaming (as a sampler, effectively), but the whole thing is still listed (possibly for mail-order purchase?). It’s fairly rare, and I don’t think I’ve seen a case where there’s actually useful info on tracks though.

Honestly, in most cases, if there’s no purchase / stream option for a track, I’d just not link it.

2 Likes

That occurred to me, but there’s a possibility some liner notes-type information stored at the other end could be lost if we don’t link to it.