STYLE-235: Mini-album RG type poll

Well it’s interesting that there is a website and that it says it is an EP, but what happens when there is no website?

To me, I look at the physical 7 inch disk with 4 tracks and I know its an EP and not an album.

I just want to reiterate that MusicBrainz defines how this works:
https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Release_Group/Type#Primary_types

The Style Leader can then clarify the guidelines if he/she refuses to change them. The Style Leader(s) have done so multiple times to indicate that as of now, before the closing of this poll, (Japanese) mini albums are considered EPs in MusicBrainz:
https://beta.musicbrainz.org/edit/17641456#note-17641456-2
https://beta.musicbrainz.org/edit/90225715#note-90225715-16

If you can’t figure out if something is an album, mini album, or EP, because you can’t find a good source put out by the artist or label, then you can always leave the primary type blank.

1 Like

Mini album is not new, I’ve heard it long before I’ve heard of EP.

Don’t worry, about difficult to determine if it’s ep or mini album.

All the mini album provided examples are clearly defined as mini albums on OHP and even on packaging itself, most of the time (hype stickers, obi).

You will be using the same types as usual in other cases of in your field of editing.

2 Likes

Our experience is different. EPs came out before I was born and I suspect you as well. :grinning:

I found the wikipedia articles on EPs informative. Extended play - Wikipedia

1 Like

Yes, it’s exactly what I meant by:

EP has maybe been an English-centric name from the start.

So it was more pregnant in English speaking countries while mini-album worked in many languages.

You are probably from an English speaking country.

Then, with the usual English influence, it spread in other countries, as well.
But in my field of music (born and living in France since 1977, mostly listening to pop rock but in fact everything), it’s relatively newer and still unusual for me.

I have no EP in my collection but I have had a few mini-albums.

4 Likes

Counterpoint: Mike Oldfield’s “Amarok” – one track, 60 minutes long. Clearly an “album”.

3 Likes

And talking about X, when they changed name to X JAPAN and change bassist, they released a 29 minute 1 track mini album: ART OF LIFE.

See an official page calls it a mini album (ミニ・アルバム).

2 Likes

Agreed, running time and track number alone are not a definitive indicator for EP. Not even for the same artist.

An album, 2 tracks, total duration of 56:30:

But this is an EP, 5 tracks, total running time of 1:08:18:

2 Likes

yeah, typically I only use Album and Single for these reasons. the only time I use EP is when it’s listed as such, whether by the artist, in the release title, or on Spotify or what-have-you.

I do think a new release group type could be beneficial though, as I have also come across a few Mini-albums myself~

6 Likes

Yes, the wikipedia article on EPs (and the linked one on singles, have examples of ‘singles’ on 45 rpm 7 inch disks and on 12 inch 33rpm disks. The number of tracks or physical medium are irrelevant. I have concluded that IMHO the rg type is a business / marketing grouping and that its not possible to define a criteria for it.

1 Like

Totally, it’s like when an artist says these are twin albums, this is a concept album, this is an EP, this is a mini album…

Still it’s an interesting category, IMO.

My initial request was to have a mini checkbox added to the album primary type.
But I think I remember it was not technically possible, because it would be done with secondary types, and secondary types are shared with all primary types, cannot restrict to album.

So we have to have a primary type, it’s why maybe some people are reluctant…

But with the examples we gathered, I’m sure we could still have more mini albums than some other rare things we already have, like the 14 Longboxes or the 12 clamshell cases I saw in the statistics.
Not sure this above statement is a good reason.

2 Likes

After reading the wikipedia articles in EP and single, I’ve changed my mind. It’s impossible to characterise.

3 Likes

@jesus2099: Astonishing, for someone living in France, where the EP (called there “super 45 tours”) was the major format used from the early 50s to the mid 70s ;), way before the albums and before the singles (which were mere promotional outcouplings for jukeboxes only).

We should probably have a specific definition for vinyls, where the characteristics are pretty clear ( 7 inch; 45 rpm, more than 2 tracks) and one for later media

3 Likes

Thanks for the history!

I never heard super 45 tours but yes, I do know maxi 45 tours, completely.

It’s because of my age, because super 45 tours, they say, was used between 1950 and 1970.
And maxi 45 tours was used since my birth year 1977. :wink:

Notice their release group type list:

• LP (our album)
  • Mini album: STYLE-235
  • EP (our EP)
  • Maxi single in 45 RPM or 33 RPM: STYLE-236
  • They didn’t mention Single

:wink:

A nice definition of “EP or Single”

The difference between an EP and a single is that a single has one good track and one throwaway track on it. An EP has three good tracks and is meant to be listened to as a whole.

5 Likes

Ah ah, but I have heard many good B-sides, though, I would not say less than good A-sides. :grin:

2 Likes

Yes - those hidden gems that sometimes go bigger than the A side. Though would still neatly fit that quote as you still listen to just the one track.

1 Like