Strange, Bizarre, Humorous or Generally Odd Lyrics

I always enjoy this kind of thing, and have seen threads over the years on platforms…

Share a line of lyrics that has made you laugh, cringe, or left you completely dumbfounded.

I’ll start the ball rolling…

Had one of those days when you wanna try heroin

4 Likes

I think the entire lyrical content of Electric by Lisa Scott-Lee fits this bill. I think it’s a fun song, but in my opinion the lyrics are weirdly humorous. From start to finish, it’s a barrage of sexually-charged electricity puns, with the chorus starting strong with its first line: “Duracell got nothing on me”.

3 Likes

Is “Weird Al” Yankovic too obvious a choice?
His song Hardware Store stands out to me as an example of taking the mundane to absurdly humorous levels.

5 Likes

It’s probably a bit too vulgar, but I’d mention old Eskimo Callboy, especially Crystals.

For example, 2 Fat 2 Furious Lyrics. Despite the cringe pop themes on surface the irony is kinda funnily absurd and it always raises my mood on the contrast with the shameful content of the song itself. And, well, the cover of the album…

2 Likes

a personal favorite of mine is (Po) by 尾丸ポルカ (Omaru Polka). the lyrics really speak to me :joy:

ぽぽぽ ぽぽぽ ぽぽぽぽぽぽぽ
ぽぽぽぽぽぽぽぽぽぽぽぽぽ ぽ

(epilepsy warning for the video)

5 Likes

Whoaaa, yes, the infinite field of obscure Japanese media! The UltimateRiff’s MV immediately reminded me of everything IOSYS, like エンドレス・てゐマパーク from 東方メレンゲ少女夜行. The majority of the lyrics is just rabbit Tewi singing the first syllable of her name as “tetetetetetetete tetetetetetetete tettetetetetetete— tetetette—”.

This really brings me back…

4 Likes

I have learnt so much

3 Likes

Hip-Hop (and I’m a bit of a fan) has a lot too, like this from legendary rapper Nas:

We can drive through the city, no doubt
But don’t say my car’s topless, say the titties is out

2 Likes

another one… Young Thug (of course)

I used to want to f*** my auntie

1 Like

Let’s not forget about this gem from Power Salad:

2 Likes

ooh~ that is excellent~ :ok_hand: I love me some good obscure Japanese music too~ I’ve just recently rediscovered 男女 by 太郎 myself.

actually, there’s several hololive original songs written by members of IOSYS, including Houshou Marine’s Ahoy!! 我ら宝鐘海賊団☆.

and now for something completely different, I present the entirety of Knuckles from K.N.U.C.K.L.E.S. & Knuckles: Knuckles in Knuckles the Echidna feat. Knuckles from the Knuckles the Echidna Series [Knuckles of the Year Edition] & Knuckles (Full Version & Knuckles) (yes, that is the title)

Here I come, rougher than Knuckles
The best of them, tougher than Knuckles
You can call me Knuckles, unlike Knuckles I don’t chuckle
I’d rather flex my Knuckles
I’m hard as Knuckles, it ain’t hard to chuckle
I break 'em down whether they’re Knuckles or Knuckles
Unlike Knuckles I’m independent since my first chuckle
First Knuckles, feel the Knuckles, than the Knuckle chuckle

(NSFW lyrics warning)

3 Likes

You’re going to love this then. It’s a song about an all-you-can-eat restaurant, sung in the style of Swiss yodeling music.

3 Likes

ooh, I can’t not mention Elektronik Supersonik by Zlad!

As for sure as the sun rises in the west
Of all the singers and poets on Earth I am the bestest
Come, let me put ring of Jupiter on your finger
Then like a smell around you I will forever linger

written by an Australian as a rejected Eurovision entry from the small nation of Molvania

edit: an extra challenge for y’all, when you share a song here, add a link to the lyrics page on the MusicBrainz work~ :wink:

I’ve already been doing this for mine~

1 Like

Specifically by the Australian comedian Santo Cilauro.
Molvania is famously a fake country invented for a parody “travel guide” Cilauro co-wrote, published around the same time. It courted a bit of controversy for its exploitation of negative stereotypes of Eastern Europeans.

Speaking of negative stereotypes:

shel silverstein is the shit for this sort of stuff. his weird folk music all has got great offbeat lyrics

1 Like

I didn’t know he recorded music. If it’s anything like his poetry it ought to be interesting.

Meanwhile, if we’re talking about weird folk music, here’s a classic:

5 Likes

it’s far more crass than his poetry but it carries the same flow. it’s really neat stuff! I recommend “Bury Me in my Shades” or “It Does Not Pay to be Hip”. he also wrote for Johnny Cash (my favorite lame fun fact about Cash, actually)

also this song rocks! i’ve never heard it but 18 minutes is a hell of a travel

3 Likes

I love love LOVE this song, I show it to all my friends (who I think that would enjoy it of course), and often they do

don’t forget “hey kids, spelling is fun!”
the taylor swift lyric that was so bad, she got bullied into removing it.

2 Likes

The Bloodhound Gang are probably too easy, and could complete this entire thread but:

You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when you’re doin’ seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler. I never thought missing children could be so sexy

The song title isn’t much better: A Lap Dance Is So Much Better When The Stripper is Crying

2 Likes