Slim jewel case vs. single jewel case

I have added plenty of CD singles, and related artwork. I agree with @jesus2099. This is just another example of MB messing with language a bit. What they mean is what we expect - thin MUSIC CD single cases. The thin things like in the example photo. I expect this is why they show the different types behind the link.

They are both physically “slim” in size.

What is really missing is a way of properlly attaching a type to the artwork. The closest we can do with that image is a “front \ spine \ back”. Which seems odd as there is not really a “back” to a slim CD case. Artwork types are way too limited. (see also missing gatefold artwork type that could be used for a digipak…)

3 Likes
  • The front is the big visible front part of the leaflet
  • The spine is the spine part of the leaflet (very small)
  • The back is usually the small back fold of the leaflet (turned 90°) and the CD label side *

* The CD should usually be placed into its tray, with the label side facing the transparent jewel case, and the reflective side facing the inside of there box (opposite of CD does in other packaging)

Gatefold is gatefold, it does have front, spine and back.
Digipak is Digipak, it also does have front, spine and back.

I don’t see the problem. :thinking:

3 Likes

Agreed. I usually use ‘other’ for digipak and gatefold scans. Here’s an example of a gatefold CD I uploaded art for recently: Release “Graduation” by Kanye West - Cover art - MusicBrainz.

3 Likes

I have always seen “CD single case” added in MusicBrainz as Slim Jewel Case, and I have done it hundreds of times myself.

Are there editors picking “Other” rather than Slim Jewel Case or something? I did vote against a “Cardboard/Paper Sleeve” edit relatively recently, which is clearly wrong.

2 Likes

I don’t understand the Gatefold and Digipak problem (which should have had its own topic).
They both have clear front, spine and back, including the example shown by @agatzk.

1 Like

Forked to a new topic, Cover art types for digipaks and gatefolds.

2 Likes

Same here.

After reading your replies I looked at the example photos again. The first two might actually be photos of “single jewel case” type, but the pictures are small and it’s very hard to see the details.

The three remaining photos on that page are clearly of “computer” slim jewel cases - and the consensus seems to be that it’s not what we mean by “slim jewel case” in MusicBrainz.

So to avoid further confusion some doumentation improvements are needed. I think we could use better pictures and maybe a clear statement that “slim jewel case” does not mean “computer” slim jewel case in MusicBrainz. Unless we want to lump these two together, which is not a good idea IMO.

1 Like

We could keep both together or user Other for the computer slim jewel case.

I have never ever seen a music release in a computer case, except home made pirate copies that too many people did at some period, which started the fall of music sales.

I guess that’s a rare case, but sometimes it happens with self-released material. For example, this album came in a “computer slim” case.

3 Likes

If we ask for it, let’s make sure that we first obtain 12mm jewel case and 17mm jewel case that are widespread (regular jewel cases are 10mm. :hugs:

2 Likes

A couple of posts in a forum that most users do not visit is not really a “consensus”. :wink:

Totally agree that the images need cleaning up, but those images are the best way to say “MB defines slim as all of these”. It is taking slim as in thin\narrow. I expect the majority of “slim jewel case” in MB will be of the standard single type. 95% of the time with the standard J-Card insert.

What you call a “single jewel case” other call a “slim jewel case”. The fun of language. :slight_smile: To me, a “single jewel case” is one with just one CD inside. i.e. a standard jewel case.

Many more types of packaging need adding before then. @jesus2099 noted some above.

An example I would like to see are those fancy hinged double CD cases that are in a normal sized jewel case. The ones that replaced fatboxes. Fatboxes are the only double cases currently listed.

Also note we only just got “box” added to the list in the last couple of years. Changes are very slow round here.

:notes: :fish:

I added links to 12mm and 17mm jewel cases (regular jewel cases being 10mm).

Edited:

I don’t know what means hinged, but according to a photo, it would be 10mm (regular thickness) 2CD jewel case. :slight_smile:

They are not “slim double cases”. They are “normal double cases”.

This is why we call “fatbox” fat as it is bigger than normal, and “slim” is thinner than normal.

Edit: I just seen you also said that in that ticket. I would not be using sizes in mm as most people are not picking up rulers to check. Surely this is now the standard double case? Or hinged double CD jewel case?

2 Likes

I’ve added every instance of a single jewel case as a slim jewel case and never knew they were different. I’m assuming most did. Makes more sense to just change the name from slim jewel case to single jewel case as I’m certain the vast majority are this.

1 Like

There are always exceptions to everything. I have albums and EPs in these slim cases too. For example, a boxset reissue of multiple albums using slim cases. I also have singles in standard jewel cases.

Physical dimensions are easier to translate - Slim, Standard, Fat.

“single CD” can read like “just one CD” instead of “double CD”.

2 Likes

True. Didn’t think about that.

1 Like

Until now I haven’t noticed that either :grin:

(…and “slim jewel case” is probably better)

And I have a jazz release (Philips 7551 001) in a “fat” cassette (21 mm whereas normal is 17 mm) unneeded for by medium (×1), spine cover art, and booklet fold. It houses 2LP stereo though …

I was curious but didn’t find it.

Here you go:

And here fattie stacked with some commons:

3 Likes