Should the persons credited as "executive in charge of music for/at XXX company" be added as "executive producers"?

The persons that hold the title of “executive in charge of music” or “music executive” do oversees production, but I guess technically they are not credited as “executive producer”, correct?

Thanks!

I probably would add them as “Executive Producer” as you have described the job with those other phrases.

1 Like

But only if they’re actually credited on the booklet or whatnot for that job :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yeah, that definitely.

I had never taken such a closer look at all the credits until I decided a couple of days ago to make some of my favourite releases on MB more complete. Then I noticed that “title”. They are sometimes credited as “executive producers” on Discogs, and are usually credited as is on IMDB - “executive in charge of music”.

According to the description of the title, they are basically the head music executives in record labels who “make executive decisions” and “oversee one, or many, aspects of a record label, including A&R, contracts, management, publishing, production, manufacture, marketing/promotion, distribution, copyright, and touring” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_executive). So I guess they do fit the bill.
Then I saw some are specifically credited as both “executive producer” and “executive in charge of music” on certain releases (or with someone else credited as “executive in charge of music”) while holding the exact same position in the record label, but only as “executive in charge of music” on other releases by the same label during the same period of time.

So now I’m not so sure, hence the post.

Much appreciate the input guys!

1 Like

I always see a “producer” as the person who gets all the non-musical parts in place. Sorts out a studio, does marketing, but ain’t got no clue as to what a good tune sounds like. Don’t know how to play an instrument or work at the mixing desk. They produce a final result, but don’t create it. They add the polish. They allow the real musician to concentrate on the music.

Well in general, the producers are at the console like a film directors. They will make choices, directions and settings according to how they want the recording to sound like.

Except if they are just executive producers.

Your definition above rather fits manager, agent, a & r, etc. :thinking:

Producers don’t need to be instrument virtuoso but they need to understand both musicianship and recording techniques.

(All this is just my guess though.) :wink:

2 Likes

and my version is based on a Film Producer talking about himself…

Producers always like to feel important - but they are more Management than Technical.