Same Disc ID, different barcode

Hello all! I’m kind of new here.

I used Picard to lookup a disc I have. It found its Disc ID was AaaK8GRy8jYKeG5TSLpEQnltLvc- and it matched an existing release.

However, the information I have on my CD is different:

• Country is different (Taiwan instead of Hong Kong)
  • Barcode is different

Since it’s impossible to set multiple barcodes, am I supposed to create a different release, even though the data on the disc is the same (it is indeed the 旺得福 release by 旺福)?

Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

Yes, you need to add a new release due to the new barcode. The DiscID being shared around Asia is not surprising.

When adding a new release, you should be offered the track list of the old one, so you won’t have to type it all out again.

And Welcome to MusicBrainz :slight_smile:

3 Likes

See release edit history, I have added question to the original editor in original Edit #23413578 - Add release.

Countries, multiple consecutive labels, barcodes and catalogue numbers and cover arts were all added by separate editors, so this release may be quite a mix of several editions.

Please create your specific edition with all info (label from the spine, catalogue number as printed, barcode as printed, release country, disc ID, etc.).

1 Like

In general, every country will have its own CD release in MusicBrainz due to the interaction of industry practice and MusicBrainz Style. Specifically, different cover art is a different release.

1. Barcode tends to be part of the cover art.
  2. Most manufacturers and distributors credit themselves on the cover art.

Looking at 3 of the biggest markets for music,

1. Europe tends to mandate/recommend that an EU label code be printed on the cover art. EU label codes don’t exist in the USA and Japan.
  2. USA tends to mandate/recommend that an FBI Anti-Piracy Warning be printed on the cover art. The FBI doesn’t have jurisdiction in Europe and Japan.
  3. Japan tends to mandate/recommend several things be printed on the cover art, such as release date, price tag, etc. Europe and the USA don’t use Japanese yen as their currency.
2 Likes

Thank you all for your help! I created a new release for this CD.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Great! :slight_smile:

If it matches 旺福 – 旺得福 (2013, CD) - Discogs you can link this Discogs page to your release.

They mention a 亞神唱片 label.
What label is your edition? On the spine? Next to WM2013-028? :slight_smile:

There are two things:

What should I do?

Set both labels. :slight_smile:
Maybe set this label release page as discography page, as well.

I figured this out and edited the release. Please check it out and let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Ah, an extra question: in the AsiaMuse discography page and in the WonderMusic entry, track 4 is cased “Come On Let’s Go”. But on the track list on the actual CD, it is cased “Come on Let’s Go”. Which case should I use?

2 Likes

based on the style guidelines for Chinese (and in turn, English), I’d say “Come On Let’s Go” (see number 2.c on English Style Guide)