Retrieve Album Art Wav File Command Line

I am looking for a command-line solution to retrieve album cover art from songs saved as wav files. As these songs don’t have ID2 or ID3 tags in them I can’t just use something like the get_cover_art package with Python (this is extremely easy to do for mp3 files) so I will need something like Picard. I could preprocess the music library but it’s for radio station applications and would prefer to retrieve the cover art on-the-fly since new songs are added to the library regularly.

If anyone has an idea how I might be able to use Picard to do this I would appreciate the help.

Steve

Hello!
I’m not sure I understand your question. I read it as

• you have some .wav files
  • one track per file
  • the .wav files have artwork embedded in them

You want to know how to extract the artwork from each .wav file?
OR
you want to know how to find artwork for the song in each .wav file like you can for .mp3 files?

2 Likes

If the former (extract cover art from a WAV file), this unfortunately is not possible as this file type does not support embedded images (at least, not natively or reliably). Some players may show artwork for this file type, but they are often using a database of their own (as is the case for iTunes) to store and retrieve the art:

https://reddit.com/r/Beatmatch/comments/a4soxt/how_to_tag_and_add_cover_art_on_wav_files/

However, I see you mentioned Picard - one thing you could do is check the “Save cover images as separate files” option under “Cover Art”, which will save the image alongside the file.

Of course, it’s not a command-line option - if you can provide any further details on what you’re attempting to accomplish though, it may help steer the conversation.

5 Likes