Release help needed - barcode related

I am hoping someone can provide some insight on how to handle this release. MB does not seem to allow two barcodes for the same release, yet this release does in fact have two barcodes.

3 Likes

I would either add it twice… or more likely add it using the country of origin of the band and pick their barcode, then put the other in the annotation. Anyone search for it from this cover will see they can enter both in a search.

3 Likes

I thought of adding it twice, but I believe that will just add more confusion… although I would have in the notes that it is an exact duplicate of another release. I will go with your suggestion, I might pick England (Europe I guess) as that is where the (c) is for the release. Seems like that is a best fit.

3 Likes

How am I able to see both barcodes in a search? Or even in the list of release versions? I dont see many looking for this release as MB had nothing but a track listing, but I would still like it to be “findable” by anyone looking.

Please note I ask questions like this not because I cannot think of a way to do it, but to know how others do them, so things are consistent. Many editors in here are far more aware of the “standards” than I am, so I would prefer to do as others have been.

You can’t. But if you had this in your hand would you not make two searches? You have two barcodes, so you’d surely try twice? This is why I would file it under the nationality who has released it.

Have a look at the CD. Where was it manufactured? Were different CD manufactured in USA and Europe? That would make me add two releases.

What’s in the matrix? If this is a USA manufactured CD it would hint at manufactured in two places with common artwork. That would cause two releases.

Since MB doesn’t support multiple barcodes per release, I would add 2 releases (identical, but with different barcodes, different “countries” (USA/Europe), same catno, and label), along an annotation.
Cover art is the same in USA and Europe, but perhaps printed and pressed on each continent, hard to tell.
Such case is rare.

The label is Candid - MusicBrainz (based in USA)

1 Like

I do not have this available at this time. I checked Discogs, and their artwork is same as I have, but lesser quality, so they do not have it either i the images or in the notes. There is no reference on the materials in hand at this time that mention anything relating to a place of manufacturer. Only thing there is regarding a geographical location is the (c) & (p) holder in England.

I added this with both countries listed under release events. Feel free to suggest if something might be done different.

1 Like

Having multiple barcodes on releases is not so rare.

3 Likes

I did not realize this. Never seen this before except on those where there is a barcode sticker over a barcode. But having two printed on the actual paper, never seen.

2 Likes

This is for me the strongest argument. Pick the barcode which is more unified with other aspects of the release, put it in the barcode field. Expect someone searching for this release to try each barcode in turn.

Put the digits of the other barcode in the Annotation field. (Pro tip: the Annotation is a really good place to put all kinds of information which does not fit into the MusicBrainz structure.) Then contribute to the discussion of the enhancement request to store multiple barcodes in the MusicBrainz structure: https://tickets.metabrainz.org/browse/MBS-3978 .

1 Like

Oh but it’s true that many of these releases that I tagged as having multiple barcodes are in fact multi-packaging releases, like, the regular edition jewel case inside a special edition slipcase.

1 Like

These are confusing. Technically the sales barcode is only the one on the outside of the slipcase. That is the one used in the shop. Inside are barcodes that are only on the product due to being repackaged.

I saw an example the other day which used a European slipcase on an older USA CD to specifically put that new external barcode on for the shop use. It is a posh sticker - replacing the barcode. In that case the seller is asking us to ignore the other barcode and use the visible one.

This rear cover @thwaller has is a little more unusual as it really is the same cover for both territories. But the shop owner now has to choose the correct barcode to scan for their territory.

This is a bit like Artist Intent, but for sales.

2 Likes

Thanks to all again for your comments on the topic. I appreciate the conversations that develop from such questions. The topic usually seems to branch out a bit providing a good amount of ideas and knowledge. As I go through some of the older soul/jazz/funk releases in my collection, I am finding some interesting stuff that I never paid such close attention to as it relates to actually cataloging the information.

3 Likes