Release completeness

Proof of real pressed CD vs CDr

Yeah, there are also track numbers 1 to 18 and 1 to 16 - adds to the fun

I’d just treat that as one CD. Number 1 to 34. Clearly been converted from LP. I assume that is a compilation? Looks like it. One of those fun jobs of finding lots of small artists and probably adding lots of new ones.

I can find you plenty of those I have done…

Both of those sent me down dozens of rabbit holes tracking down bands, adding bands, locations, reading booklets, hunting little obscure sites. In some cases pulling in whole other discographies of bands I just added when I found them on a fan site in a corner of the web. I’m still combing out details on these. There is only so far the booklets can take you.

Obscure little low numbers of printed CDs. Far more fun than another big name CD printed in the millions of copies.

Well, sort of. They were released at the same time. The vinyl and the CD. There was no cassette. This release was acquired at a shop ~ 3rd and National in Milwaukee. I want to add more detail, but I do not want to enter the “political correctness” of my words.

Many times the artist was there. I believe I still have some signed by the artist, I will need to check.

1 Like

Music is created for many reasons. Adding facts in annotations is fine, but I keep my opinions out of those notes. I admit I have left the odd sarcastic comment \ political view in the edit notes, but they are hidden from public view. :rofl:

I’ve posted Signed by Artist covers. And expanded some notes in their annotations on their artist pages. Wikidata can often be pretty limited with less known artists. This is why I like finding links to other artists \ engineers \ studios in common.

So it is down to us to add those notes about what we know. Even if it is hard to prove that knowledge, we just leave what source notes we can.

I often write notes thinking “What will that guy who reads this in 20 years time think? Am I leaving them enough proof?”.

I also know if I only leave a little skeleton of details on an artist, it is enough for someone else to come along and add more flesh.

Ok. You are my “guy” for this initiative now. LOL! I wiil create a new thread as topics have become intermixed.

1 Like

My main thing in the ‘completion’ aspect is full, high-res scans. If other info is incomplete but there are good scans I consider it future-proof, so that’s the most time-intensive thing I do. But on the flip side I often skip other things that people do (e.g. works). As IvanDobsky says everyone finds their role!

Fair! I cry when people say they have a rare, potentially one-off release, and don’t upload scans :stuck_out_tongue:
(not saying anyone has to of course, just different strokes for different folks)

1 Like

LOL! It seems my role is to challenge the norm. This is ok though. I have real releases on my side.

for this release, I would actually enter the track numbers as printed, i.e. A1-A18, B1-B16. I think I mentioned how to do this on another one of your threads

Agree, gotta have the scans. And the DiscIDs. Once a scan is there then someone else can read the details. I know I am overkill with my detail extraction at times - but it keeps me quiet. :rofl: I like the interconnectedness of things.

Not doing scans I can understand. My scanner was offline for much of last year, which makes scanning tricky. And it is very time consuming work to get it right. And I would rather no scans than some randomly grabbed web image that has been half checked. Far too many releases are made up from scans from three different releases.

If you listen to some people around here, I am just “annoying” and “challenging” :rofl:

There are all sorts in this place, and I know many times I can be far too direct in what I say. It leads to confusions. And I recognise that issue in many others. Sometimes the key is knowing when to walk away from a debate. If your point is correct, someone else will step in and reinforce it.

Guidelines can seem weird, but they have been created after many years of editing to try and make a common thread to what is a wide subject. There is logic in the madness, even if it may clash with our own way of doing things.

But if we didn’t poke at the guidelines, how else would they know the guidelines work so well?

1 Like