Relationships: Samples, interpolations, Girls Aloud v Nazareth

I’m looking at

which is built on

I choose the “built on” wording deliberately. It’s not a direct sample. Most of “Sexy No No No” is built on the guitar riff from “Hair of the Dog” but doesn’t sound like the exact guitar from the source track. This is what one would colloquially call a sample, except I suspect it doesn’t meet that definition here. Is it an interpolation? Something else? It’s close to what Rachel Stevens did to The Cure’s Lullaby, which I marked as a sample at the time but I’m no longer sure.

1 Like

There are a couple of work-level relationships called “basis” and “quote.” You might see if they fit your need.

1 Like

AFAIK the “quotes music from” is to be used for interpolations; which is pretty much the scenario of someone re-performing the musical melody to be used in a new work not snipping out the original performed melody and splicing it into their work which would be a sample.

If that makes any sense

2 Likes

That seems to be what the OP is describing.

1 Like

thanks all. ‘quotes’ seems like the right answer. there’s also a ‘based on’ but to my mind that would imply a stronger linkage.

https://musicbrainz.org/edit/105603530

1 Like

Based On was the old way of doing things; it’s one of those weird relationships that kind of doesn’t mean anything in particular but could be used if there is a genuine “basis” for one work to another. I’ve used it for response works like:

links to

The “based on” relationship is also linking Ice Ice Baby to Under Pressure, and U Can’t Touch This to Super Freak - both cases where the later work is heavily dependent on a riff taken from the earlier.

Whether that applies in this case I guess depends on how directly the Girls Aloud song is “built on” that riff.

2 Likes

I also used Based on for this song that’s kinda-a-parody-but-not-really of The Raven, a poem by Edgar Allan Poe

on the original example, I’d likely use a ‘quotes’ relationship, as has been recommended~

1 Like

Not nearly as much. It’s subjective, but the GA is far closer to “samples” than “based on” on an imaginary slider. Ice and Touch don’t just lift a hook, they really take the song en masse and rap over it. Sexy mostly grabs a hook and loops it (even less “based on” than, say, Charli XCX Beg for You and September Cry for You).

1 Like