Relationship types for director and organizer

How should I add these kind of roles as relationships to recordings/releases? I don’t know what the job descriptions for those would be or if an existing artist relationship type covers these.

The director relationship type seems to already have a proposal by @HibiscusKazeneko. There’s nothing for organizer, though.

These roles seem to be normal e.g. for productions where the music creation groups agehasprings and onetrap are involved, and they are usually mentioned in the credits on the same line like this: “Director & Organizer”.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever seen “organizer” in release liner notes before, but I have seen lots of “coordinator” type relationships. That sounds to me like something you’re looking for; is it?

Hmm, those could potentially be more or less the same thing. But still, there are no exactly matching relationships for them, so maybe both director and organizer could go under the producer relationship? I’m not sure if that would be too far-fetched. Putting them under miscellaneous support doesn’t seem right either.

1 Like

It’s not totally clear. “Director” is commonly found in the liner notes of Japanese releases near the producer credit, suggesting the title is some sort of production-like role, but I haven’t been able to find anything that solidifies the connection.
I sometimes wonder if “director” in the Japanese context is something akin to a voice acting director, i.e. someone who participates in the recording session by giving instructions to the performer. Normally (AFAIK, as I’m not a musician) recording engineers will do all this themselves, but it’s not inconceivable for there to be someone else in the console room alongside the engineer instructing the performer(s) in the recording booth.

I’m going to revive this because I have encountered this relationship too. There are a few disparate threads that mention this but this is the most complete.

This is the release: Release “Sweet Thames Flow Softly” by The Critics Group - MusicBrainz

So, a bit of context. The Critics Group was a musical group led by Ewan MacColl and Peggy Seeger and essentially they applied theatre techniques and criticism to folk-song. See following biography/discography (it’s better than Discogs for this sort of music): The Critics Group: at theBalladeers

As such it really does seem like the record was produced like a theatre production, and on the back of the record / CD we find the following relationships: “Directed by Ewan MacColl” and “Music direction Peggy Seeger”.

There actually isn’t a relationship that I can see that expresses this. The closest I could find was on the release-group level, with ‘creative direction’, but there isn’t any way to differentiate between the two roles, which are quite different on the stage. There isn’t any way to set a credit for that either so I don’t think it would be appropriate to reuse the relationship for this. I did think about using the ‘producer’ relationship but I don’t think this is specific enough. ‘Concert master’ and ‘chorus master’ are also don’t seem to capture this credit faithfully.

Although this was quite a unique group, it does seem like an important relationship to capture, especially for recordings of theatre productions or music from theatre productions. Of course, I could be missing something crucial here as I can imagine this being a relationship for opera or similar, but at any rate this seems not particularly obvious.

2 Likes

Until the exact or good enough matches to cover such credits are missing you can use the Sub Optimal Credits in the annotation field.

I have a question about this, too. It seems not rare to have some kind of “director” or “band leader” role credited, and I’m not sure how/if to represent that. E.g. see here https://www.discogs.com/master/1242408-Los-Dementes-La-Salsa-Llego/image/SW1hZ2U6MjU1MDEzMzU=. Ray Pérez is the band leader, and is credited with playing the piano, arranging and directing the release.

The closest options I see are “art director” and “producer”, but neither really seem a great match. The linked “director” relationship proposal mentions we have some kind of “creative director” relationship, but I can’t find that…

2 Likes