Relationship between release and area?

How would I attach this release group:

As recorded live in?
https://musicbrainz.org/area/8e577cfe-54af-4581-906f-eac74b4cd17c/releases

1 Like

ā€œrecorded inā€ is a relationship between a recording and an area: Relationship Type / Recorded in - MusicBrainz

ā€œrecorded liveā€ is an attribute of a relationship between a recording and a work (song): Recording-Work Relationship Types - MusicBrainz

What I recommend is marking all the recordings (easily done in bulk with relationship editor) as ā€œrecorded inā€ Stoke-on-Trent. Some of the tracks on the 22-track release might already have works (songs) created, however some might also need creating (always search before creating). Tracks like [intro] and also the long, mixed, live recordings on the 2-track release will likely be unable to linked to a work.

It appears many works are already linked, with only some indicating they are ā€˜liveā€™. This should be corrected and the relationship should have the ā€˜liveā€™ attribute (if they are indeed live). Get started here: Edit Relationships for 2001-11-22: A State of Trance #23. Click on ā€œ(recording of)ā€ in the column on the right (related works) to modify an existing relationship. Relationships can also be modified individually by editing the object directly (How to Add Relationships - MusicBrainz).

https://musicbrainz.org/relationships

Thereā€™s also a release-area relationship, Area-Release Relationship Types - MusicBrainz

3 Likes

Thanks! That makes sense that the relationship doesnā€™t make any sense against the release group.

I do want to connect the release itself to the area, but given that the tracks are split from a continuous mix, does it make sense to link the individual recordings as well? Because the original recordings arenā€™t really ā€œmodifiedā€ in the sense of a traditional remix, but rather transitioned from track to track.

Also, would ā€œremixed inā€ be a better relationship than ā€œrecorded inā€ in this case?

1 Like

Linking the release and the area is good. Typically I link recordings to places, which are located in an area, but if you donā€™t know the stadium/venue of the performance, linking to the area could be useful. ā€œRemixed in/atā€ is kind of an oddball. Iā€™ve never used it, but perhaps it would apply in this case. Recorded in would be fine too Iā€™d say.

1 Like

Usually you should link all recordings you know were recorded in that place (or area if you donā€™t know the place). And not link the recordings you know are not.

Itā€™s only when you donā€™t know which recordings are and which recording are not, that you fall back to linking release to place (or area if you donā€™t know the place).

1 Like