Red error warning

Hi! I’m new to Musicbrainz and Picard. I’m finding that all of my music ripped from CDs is showing the red circle with a minus sign when I try to work with it. MP3s bought online work fine. Here are the results of the error log. It seems to be the same error on the 3 or 4 albums that I sampled:

File “/usr/lib/picard/picard/formats/id3.py”, line 197, in _load
file = self._File(encode_filename(filename), ID3=compatid3.CompatID3)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mutagen/_file.py”, line 42, in init
self.load(filename, *args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mutagen/id3/init.py”, line 1093, in load
self.info = self._Info(fileobj, offset)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mutagen/mp3.py”, line 185, in init
self.__try(fileobj, offset, size - offset, False)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mutagen/mp3.py”, line 223, in __try
raise HeaderNotFoundError(“can’t sync to an MPEG frame”)
HeaderNotFoundError: can’t sync to an MPEG frame

What does this mean and what can I do to correct it?
Thanks!

Does this happen when you press ‘Save’?
Usually this means those files are set to ‘Read Only’ (right click them/their folder > Properties)

Thanks for your replies!

I’ve found that the red circles are associated with a set of duplicate hidden files in several of the folders in my library. I’m able to process the regular files and am removing the hidden files (in Picard) which seems to work fine. But, I wonder what the hidden files are for? I’ve seen that other people online have asked about them but haven’t seen any answers.

I don’t know for sure, but often files that have come from Apple/ a Mac have an extra folder with ghost files in them. Perhaps that’s the issue?

Have you got your folder settings to show hidden files and folders? (on Win 10, Settings > File Explorer Options)

After 21 years on Apple I switched to Windows only to throw up my hands in disgust (no offence to anyone) and start using Linux. I spotted the hidden files while rooting around in Terminal and then noticed the dots before all of the songs with the red warning. I’m guessing that they’re of no use to me now and will start to remove them. Otherwise, aside from my own beginner’s blunders, Picard is doing it’s job nicely. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

2 Likes