Questions about userscripts what can they do? and how do they work?

i know scripts are a line of code that is serpoes to help you do things but how do you use them is there a program that runs them for you? what can they do? how do you fined some to learn on? and language is it written in on here java html or one of the many others out there?

Do you ask about the scripts for Picard or the ones for the web browser?

3 Likes

manly the webbrowser

If you use chrome install an extension called tampermonkey.
For firefox there is greasemonkey and there are some other forks / alternatives with similar names.

These extensions allow you to inject your own java script in web pages.
For example if you install one of the extensions then install the below script https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/16559-musicbrainz-edit-create-entity-or-fill-data-from-wikipedia-wikidata-viaf-isni

This adds a few extra buttons to the website so when you navigate to musicbrainz and add an artist it gives you an input box where you can paste a wikidata / vaif / isni identifier and it will make submitting data from wikidata easier.
For example wikidata could have an artists birth day so using this extension would pull this information and allow you to easily add this information to musicbrainz.

3 Likes

The short answer is - the scripts of most use to you will be the ones that improve the MB interface and make it easier to do things. Now you are getting used to entering data there are a few scripts that can help you with that. There are also loads more scripts that can just add confusion too - so take it slowly when diving in.

First start - which Web Browser do you use? This allows us to point you at the exact instructions for installing the Script Engine as @dns_server mentions above.

1 Like

There is also the Violentmonkey extension.
Once you find some scripts, look at their description that should be in the first few lines of commented code.
Scripts are in JavaScript.

2 Likes

i use crome. thanks for the info so far. is there a script for importing info from albums on discogs. im looking for any thing that will save typing as much

I can’t resist to mention that within all of your posts so far, there are quite some typos, so a script that saves you from typing could indeed be useful. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
But when you use an import script, please don’t create duplicate release, and be sure to re-use existing release group and recordings from the same release group, if they match in duration.

yer i will thanks i find spelling hard

But then please :bowing_man: take much much more care of releases than your posts. :sweat_smile:

im no good at spelling or grammer and i never will be. thats why i copy and paste as much as i can when im making realeases. but some times things will slip throue and spellcheck finds it had to fix up my spelling some times and i do not use Amrican spelling so if you use it then even if i spelt every thing right to someone from Amrica it would still be wrong. this is with out spellcheck

im no good at spelling or grammer and i never will be. thats why i copy and paste as much as i can when im making realeases. but some times things will slip throue and spellcheck finds it had to fix up my spelling some times and i do not use American spelling so if you use it then even if i spelt every thing right to someone from America it would still be wrong. this is with spellcheck

i like how it shows you if the album and other info is on musicbrianz already. that is handy

1 Like