I have a case that I can’t really figure out how to enter into the musicbrainz database properly.
It’s about a German video rap battle tournament and it’s songs.
I’m not sure whether to enter the songs of this tournament as singles for each artist performing or whether I should enter each year of said tournament as an album for example and have the songs as part of that.
Next thing are the titles for these. They don’t have a title scheme that is explicit or fixed because the videos were just released on Youtube sometimes officially by the organizer, rappers.in, and sometimes by the artists themselves.
For example a title may look like this “VBT Splash!-Edition 2013 EmGi vs. Pimf Achtelfinale HR2” while another may look like this “TALF vs. Blue (feat. BlaDesa) | VBT Elite 16tel HR (Beat by ARTISANS Beats)”
For the latter I would have entered the song title as “VBT Elite 16tel HR” and the artist as TALF feat. BlaDesa. The Prior I’d add as “VBT Splash!-Edition 2013 Achtelfinale HR2” or “VBT Splash!-Edition 2013 Achtelfinale vs. Pimf”… both seem wrong however + I’m unsure whether to actually add the event name to the title.
Going off of how some of the songs are listed on Spotify, they added the year as an album like here
The naming scheme there is to have the performing artist first and the round in parentheses after like this “Sorgenkind Vs. Battleboi Basti (HR Halbfinale)” by Sorgenkind
The Spotify naming scheme + having each song as a single makes the most sense to me.
Because there are some problems I’m having still if the Spotify approach (naming scheme and album per year) is the one to go with:
- This Spotify album excludes the artists’ qualification songs (Probably having them as singles for each artist is the best way to go about it)
- For older tournaments there are a bunch of songs and rounds that have been taken off the internet, if I can’t track down a track length, how would I enter that in the album?
Could you help me figure this out?
I’m rather new to musicbrainz but I love the project and would love to help fill the database ![]()