Project Composer Diversity (ex Women's Composer Database)

A few months ago, @Jim_DeLaHunt proposed a project to “have MusicBrainz cover every composer and work listed in the Women Composers Database”. This seemed like a better option as a long-term project than a one-month cleanup, so I’ve decided to start our first collaborative project in a loong while :slight_smile:

I’ve created an artist collection for this now. That makes these composers sound a bit like Pokémon, but what can we do - it’s still the best way to do this I feel.

For now, I’ll be the only one adding artists to the collection, since we don’t have collaborative collections at the moment. I’ve created a wiki page where others can add any composers they’ve looked into so I add them to the collection as well. Ideally, add as much data as you find for them, but it’s ok if you just add a few links :slight_smile:

8 Likes

First question that came up when thinking about this: should our collection be a 1:1 match with the original one, or should we add other female composers to it not (yet) covered by the Composer Diversity Database? :slight_smile: (saw this lady who isn’t in the list :slight_smile: )

I say definitely add others if we find them. But not mandatory to “go outside the list”

3 Likes

I’ve started adding all the female composers I had already cleaned up to the collection - feel free to subscribe for future edits :wink:

Is there a guide for participating in a community cleanup project? Do I just clean up whatever I find that needs cleaning up or are there specific things I should look for?

Also, since it’s called Project Composer Diversity, will it include non-binary composers?

2 Likes

In this case, the easiest way for someone who hasn’t dealt with classical music much to help is to find composers who aren’t yet in MusicBrainz and add them (and then put them into the wiki page I shared earlier).

Definitely! :slight_smile: There’s at least one already in the collection, Inti Figgis-Vizueta

1 Like

This is great, but I’m missing a clear call to action.
Is there some simple menial task that I can perform on the composers in the collection (or not in the collection) when I have a minute?

1 Like

Following this link, it reads:

“The Composer Diversity Database was created to allow conductors, performers, presenters, educators, and researchers a tool with which to expand and broaden their scope of composers and repertoire.” (originally non-male composers, now also non-white composers seemingly)"

I am probably completely misunderstanding or misreading this, but I am asking anyway; is there some initiative to separate ‘white’ composers from ‘non-white’ composers’?

I assume the Composer Diversity Database is an initiative to help put the spotlight on groups of people that are under represented among composers - such as non-white and and non-male composers.

1 Like

Not that I can see.
There is a project to unseparate, integrate, by including in the MB db, composers who had been previously left out due to an outdated focus on those composers of favoured gender, nationality and ethnicity and a concurrent neglect of those composers who were not of the favoured gender, nationalities or ethnicities.

1 Like

Personally, I’m mostly following the Composer Diversity Database for men (so, if they’re non-white enough for them, they are for me), while adding any women and non-binary composers I find. In general, the idea is to make sure we represent the underrepresented :slight_smile: In any case, this is a specific project, and there’s obviously nothing stopping anyone from adding a lot of male white composers as well (in fact, I have!). They just tend to need less help with that.

3 Likes

Adding any that you find are missing, with as many links as possible, would be a great start :slight_smile: Additionally, adding any albums you can find that include music by any of these composers is also great - you don’t need to worry too much about following the classical guidelines perfectly, I will eventually review them anwyay :slight_smile:

A few of the composers are non-classical, as well (mostly jazz) which should be easier to work on for some of y’all, and also less interesting to me personally so I’d like if someone who is into jazz looked into those! :wink:

You can check if the composers are already in the collection by checking the “Found in X user collections” link at the bottom of the sidebar. If they’re not, put them on the wiki page! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I uploaded a text version of the Composer Diversity data here that might easier to explore (the source is a Python notebook)

I also started a automated comparison of Composer Diversity (CD) and MusicBrainz by name similarity on the same page, but it needs refinement.

4 Likes

I’d also be curious about the other way around: composers in our collection who are not (yet) in their DB :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@reosarevok I’ll clean it up later but you can find such a list on this notebook, block Out[73]

A loooong time later, but we now have the option to share collections and collaborate on them. So if someone else is interested to have the ability to add artists to the Composer Diversity Database collection (and remove them, if needed :slight_smile: ) let me know and I’ll add you as a collaborator. Keep in mind this is only available in beta right now and it might very well be a bit buggy, but I think I got everything to work fairly well!

6 Likes

Apparently the French SACEM launched a website about Women Composers which is supposed to have “more than 4600 works from 770 women composers from 60 countries, from 1618 to 2020”: https://www.presencecompositrices.com/en/our-objectives

Looks to be in French only except the ‘objectives’ page

1 Like