Potential merge or split of the "Riot Games Music Team" artist

I’m running into a bit of a consistency problem with regards to the “Riot Games Music Team” artist entry:

I recall for the longest time there was two entries in MusicBrainz, one for “League of Legends”, and one for “Riot Games Music Team”. Problem is that they are one and the same based on their social media and things like their YouTube page. So, I believe for this same reason that the “VALORANT” entry should be merged in. This is based on their official Twitter and their linked LinkTree, where “Riot Games Music Team” is noting both their “VALORANT” and their “League of Legends” credited work. And since a merge was done for this for “League of Legends”, it appears appropriate to do the same here. I had started this in this edit.

Problem is that for the same reason, with those links, and also including their official YouTube account, which notes “The new home of music at Riot Games”, I think there could be more merges potentially desired. Specifically, merging in the artist entries for Arcane, Riot Forge, and potentially even Pentakill.

Starting with Arcane and Riot Forge, I think those make the most sense to merge in, but there is the question of if Riot Games is acting both as an artist and as a label, and should these “artists” be one and the same… I think they should, but it’s hard to tell…

In terms of Pentakill, it gets messier. Looking at one of the most recent Pentakill releases on YouTube, where Riot Games lists full production credits (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IWS7Y5KRhk), the following is noted:

PRODUCTION CREDITS:
Featured artists: Jorn Lande
Written by: Riot Music Team
Produced by: Riot Music Team
Mixed by: Adam “Nolly” Getgood
Mastered by: Ermin Hamidovic
Vocals performed by: Jorn Lande
Rhythm Guitars: Adam “Nolly” Getgood, Riot Music Team
Lead Guitars: Adam “Nolly” Getgood, Riot Music Team
Bass Guitars: Riot Music Team
Keys: Jose “Atlan” Aranda
Drums: Riot Music Team
Lead Violin: Ray Chen
Orchestration: Riot Music Team
P/C Riot Games 2021

Based on the production credits, that really does seem like Pentakill is another branding of the Riot Games Music Team, and that it’s not really a different group again…

Rather than submitting all of these at once, especially given that edit notes are not the easiest place to have this conversation at times when there are multiple like this and a lot of citations, I thought I’d start/continue it here.

I’d greatly appreciate any input in order to ensure good consitency/data.

2 Likes