Possible spam?

Check out this artist: https://musicbrainz.org/artist/e85a23c7-0334-4ef5-9fd9-9b681e50c646
As far as I can tell, all of the ~300 albums were entered by a user of the same name as the artist. I haven’t looked at every single album, but they all appear to follow the same pattern: every track is the same name as the album title, no cover art, no additional release information. They are credited to the JK Records label, but the company’s official website has no listing of this prolific artist.

A quick Google search showed that Daniel Alexander is a well-known missionary/activist in Indonesia. Translating some of the titles, it looks like this editor is trying to spread Daniel Alexander’s message by means of the release titles. They don’t appear to be actual albums released by Daniel Alexander.

A lot of this is conjecture because I don’t speak Malay and one can’t always trust Google Translate. However, it appears this is not an actual artist and these are not really releases. I wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone else has an opinion.

It’s 2017. Technology has changed things.
see this recent conversation - Notability check before adding a release to MusicBrainz

Many people put out podcasts - or, in this case, many preachers/churches have been releasing the sermons. This would look something similar to what you are seeing.
This week’s sermon is called Suka Cita Memberi (en; Likes to give). It is 20 minutes long. The person who digitized might break it into 5 sections of 4 mintues each.
Personally, I would like to see it named 1 of 5. 2 of 5. etc. So that a person listening would know how many tracks are available.

But that would very easily explain what you see. Especially since they do seem to have released dates like the first of every month
Oh, also, they are not all released on the same label, nor added by the same user. And some of them are on cassette and have barcodes.

5 Likes