Polling userscripts users

[Edit : now with real poll :slight_smile: ]

Hi everyone,

for some time I’ve been thinking about creating a poll about people using userscripts, especially to have a better idea on what browser/setup people have, and what recent javascript syntax can be used in my scripts without breaking on other peoples’ computers.

Two recent things pushed me to start this topic:

• one script I started developing (importing artist info from ISNI) works with Firefox/Tampermonkey but not with Firefox/Greasemonkey, and I don’t want to maintain two versions if I can avoid it
  • with the next version of Firefox (57 in November 2017) and its changes to the extension system, some scripts might not work anymore with greasemonkey (see e.g. this explanation)

Q1: What browser(s) are you using userscripts with?

• Google Chrome
  • Mozilla Firefox
  • Safari
  • Opera
  • Internet Explorer/Edge
  • Other

0 voters

Q2: What browser version(s) do you use?

• beta/unstable (e.g. Firefox 57)
  • recent (less than 6 months old, e.g. Firefox ≥ 52, Chrome ≥ 57…)
  • older but supported (Firefox ≥ 44, Chrome ≥ 44…)
  • older and unsupported

0 voters

Q3: Which userscript manager do you use?

• Tampermonkey
  • Greasemonkey
  • Violentmonkey
  • Web extensions
  • Other

0 voters

Bonus: where do you get your userscripts from?

• Greasyfork or other script repository
  • Github/Bitbucket/Gitlab
  • MusicBrainz wiki/forum/IRC
  • Other/don’t remember

0 voters

(the bonus question is important to me because greasyfork forces a certain workflow I would prefer to avoid)

8 Likes

To answer your questions:

• Chrome
  • Less than 1 year (I keep it updated as much as I can)
  • Tampermonkey
  • Github/Bitbucket
1 Like

Primary:

• FireFox
  • Current stable version
  • Greasemonkey
  • Greasy Fork usually. Occasionally github/bitbucket or links.

Secondary:

• Chrome
  • Current stable version
  • Tampermonkey
  • Greasy Fork usually. Occasionally github/bitbucket or links.
2 Likes

I use Chrome with Tampermonkey, but would use FF or another extension if that was recommended for a script I wanted.

I have current stable version (auto-updated).

I’ve downloaded scripts from anywhere I can find them. I prefer sources which are auto-updating, but for the others I muddle through.

2 Likes

Chrome
Stable
Tampermonkey
Wherever the link is, often GF

1 Like

Firefox
56.0 (current stable version)
Greasemonkey
Greasyfork or whatever the link is.

I used to run Firefox betas, but the new version without the legacy extensions is not usable: too many of my extensions and userscripts don’t work, and apparently a lot of APIs needed to make them work have not yet been implemented in the new version of Firefox. I think it is better to hold off upgrading unless Mozilla decides to keep the legacy extensions working for a while.

1 Like

Chrome
Current
Tampermonkey
Greasy Fork mostly

1 Like

I don’t think this post is meant to be the poll itself, but more a discussion of what questions to ask in such a poll… ? Please correct me if I’m wrong, @loujin. (I’ll happily answer the actual poll once it’s made. :slight_smile: )

Indeed, that was suppose to be the pre-poll :slight_smile:

Whoops :smiley:

The questions seem the most relevant to me too, fwiw. Let’s make sure to ping @jesus2099 about this!

2 Likes

Let’s not forget @Bitmap; he’s published a few userscripts too.

1 Like

I use FF 56 (64 bit) … with Greasemonkey. I use a lot of your scripts, and Jesus2099 and bitmaps, as well. I can list them if you want :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wanted to ping other scripts developers in this post and completely forgot inbetwen, thanks @reosarevok @HibiscusKazeneko

@MajorLurker : I should already have a good idea of who uses what script by parsing the edit history in the database, I know everything about your activity on musicbrainz :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

hahha… I am glad somebody knows what I am doing :wink:

2 Likes

Good idea @loujin, I didn’t know we had some upcoming compatibility issues…
I have just started using some GM functions (only GM_setValue stuff in COLLECTION HIGHLIGHTER) and there they will break… too bad.

Primary

• Opera
  • v12 (presto, the version before it became a Chrome based browser)
  • Violentmonkey
  • GitHub raw URL, or elsewhere if they are elsewhere

Secondary

• FireFox
  • v56 (auto updates, current stable version, I presume)
  • Greasemonkey

Here’s what I use currently…

• Opera
  • v48.0.2685.50 stable (uses Blink engine)
  • Tampermonkey 4.2.5291 beta (for Opera Next)
1 Like

I updated the topic with a real poll, if people have time to fill it again.

The first answers show an even split between Firefox/Chrome and Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey with a few outliers, and it seems nearly everybody has a up-to-date browser, that should already allow me to use modern JavaScript :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Chrome
Stable
Tampermonkey
GitHub (all but one which is from http://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/129352)

1 Like

Was waiting for the poll to answer, but since you – understandably – don’t give the option: I’m one of those masochists who edits vanilla. Neither Brave (despite being Chromium-based) nor qutebrowser (with its hand-written UI) has great plugin support, and I don’t even try to edit in elinks.

3 Likes

It’s for script authors: But greasyfork is the only to provide nice versionned library system for the @require, or maybe I could try to use GitHub for that…