Picard wishlist - include pending edits

I would be real nice if Picard could have an option to “Include pending edits”. Or “Include {username} pending edits”.

When tagging a collection of Digital Files I often find myself updating the MB database with new details about the CD that I had ripped. Sometimes those edits are automatic. Other times the edit goes into the 7 day queue.

It would be neat if Picard had the option to assume the edit is allowed and can then tag with the change. It would then mean I don’t need to wait seven days for Picard to use the updated data.

2 Likes

You might want to keep an eye on this:

3 Likes

Note that this is more a MB server feature request than a Picard one, see the linked MBS ticket for the Picard ticket above. Once the MB server support this in someway supporting it in Picard would likely be easy to implement.

1 Like

Glad to see I am not the only one to think about it. :slight_smile:

This actually discourages me to contribute to MB.

I am working on my library in which ~50% does not exist on MB at all (the majority of them are quite niche and region-limited), ~30% have minor errors (e.g. artists are not credited, all tracks get assigned the album artist), ~20% of them have serious errors (e.g. completely wrong or extra characters in track names, typo in release names).

If I have to wait for 7 days to correct these errors, I might as well do not take my time to correct them on MB and only do so locally since I won’t be tagging my music 7 days later.

1 Like

Wow - that is an old post of mine. I have learnt to just keep a “pending” folder when tagging. The seven day wait is not that long and allows verification. It has taken me years to tag everything, so waiting a week for my edits has not been that bad.

Don’t let it put you off correcting the MB data.

With your “50% does not exist on MB” - those are fine. You can add new releases and they are available immediately. You also have a 24 hour window to update and tweak those newly added releases.

It is only those older releases where you are updating will have any delays in your tagging. And you’ll find in practice this isn’t too bad.

2 Likes

In case it’s urgent, you can also ask other editors to help you out with votes, e.g. here:

4 Likes

Well, having to edit every single one of the releases (sometime twice because somehow digital and physical counts as two) that I have clicked “Lookup” is… fine. The convention of making the track artist the same as release artist does not apply to the releases that I’m working on (they’re a group, but usually credit individual artists, and each track usually have different artists). Applying data from MB messes up everything.

What frustrates me is that every one of them are “partially correct”, which means that I have to check everything again manually 7 days later (the music collection is on a NAS, I’m sure Picard won’t be happy about the disconnects).

All these combined create an extremely poor tagging experience :slight_smile:

Unfortunately the voting period is necessary to avoid people being able to very quickly wreck the DB. A great solution is asked for in this thread, pulling pending edits into Picard, but there are limited devs and a lot of requests!

In your situation I would hit ‘save’ in Picard even if some of the credits aren’t fixed yet, and then when you pull the album (or collection) back into Picard a week later it will auto-match based on the MBID tags. All you have to do then is hit ‘save’.

Running things through Picard again is very quick thanks to the auto-re matching, and Picard users who are serious about tagging their collection generally get used to running everything through Picard again every so often - MB releases are always being improved.