Pen names for Audiobooks?

I see there is a topic for Bookbrainz on how to handle “pen names” for the author - Pen-names as aliases or as separate entries - but should I apply the same guidance on musicbrainz for audiobooks? Trying to associate the disc ID of the audiobook “A Memory Called Empire,” and trying to figure out how to handle the author “Arkady Martine” which is a pen name for “AnnaLinden Weller” - Arkady Martine - Wikipedia

If the answer is to follow the bookbrainz guidance, then I should be creating an Artist “AnnaLinden Weller” and adding an alias of “Arkady Martine”, correct?

5 Likes

I might actually do it the other way, create an artist with their pen name, and add their legal name as a “Legal name” alias.

4 Likes

Yes it depends on which is the most used. :slight_smile:
The most used name should be the MB artist name, and the less used names can be set as artist credits.

5 Likes

I had an annoying case the other day… on the cover:
[author] writing as [pen name]

Presumably the author is now well known enough to drop the pen name or they changed their mind.
I just credited it to the author’s name because that’s what the digital storefronts had consistently done. But what a mess if I tried to go by the cover :grimacing:

2 Likes

Technically, you could have done it like printed:

[author] writing as [pen name]

2 Likes

Thanks for all the input everyone! I realized that I should probably check what bookbrainz did and - Arkady Martine (Author) – BookBrainz - it appears that they did use the pen name as the author name, which makes sense - Arkady Martine has never released anything under her legal name.

I’ll create a new artist with the pen name, and set the legal name alias to “Dr. AnnaLinden Weller” per the other references I have found for her.

4 Likes