Official MVs, Release Groups, and Questions... Oh myyy

Official MVs, live broadcasts of promoted songs, etc - I’ve been adding those as standalone recordings and linking it to the recording with the ‘music video of’ relationship and to the work, but now I’m wondering if this is even the correct way of doing it?

Because now I’m running into the issue of ‘a song that doesn’t have a music video, but there are live official recordings’ (ie, alt title tracks for comeback week on music shows, various YT channels like Dingo Music) and that not one of these MVs are seemingly able to be grouped or linked to the Release Group - which I interpreted as ‘anything related to the release’ (different versions, etc) from the documentation.

Example: Lee Changsub’s song Shelter from his EP Mark. Gone is the title track with a music video, yet there’s this official recording from Dingo Live where he’s singing Shelter. I can’t seem to relate the standalone video to the Recording without using the ‘music video’ relationship, which… this isn’t a music video. To me, a music video (MV) is a video that is produced by the label for one track that is planning to be promoted. It’s not just a video with music on it. The video is just him singing live for a YT channel as promotional content related to the album, and yet it’s not possible to relate it to the release group either. It’s not really an edit, since the song is exactly the same as it is on the album version just a little longer on the video for the channel intro/outro, nor is it a remix or anything else.

‘Alt’ title track example: BTOB’s Blowin’ Up - never has had an official MV, but it was performed and recorded multiple times for their comeback week when they released Brother Act. For the majority of the performances (ex. one, two, three) those can be linked as edits because they did have to edit out the second verse due to time constraints. No problem there. But then there’s this performance for a show and this performance from their concert (the channel is an actual employee from the label, so this isn’t a fancam or anything of the sort, I do not want to open that can of worms at the moment) that are the full unedited version of the song. But again… it’s not a music video.

Is this a matter of me looking in the wrong place for something, or is this a limitation of MB’s relationships? Am I just being too pedantic about my definition of a music video or should I be using a different method to input videos? I’m sure some would say why even bother with a video, that’s not MB’s mission - but these are recordings whether people like it or not and should be documented with correct relationships and linking to releases and other recordings for others to source from.

actually, it is. it’s just that not a lot of people work in that area~

l believe what you’re looking for is a “Work” entity.

https://musicbrainz.org/doc/How_to_Use_Works

the “Music video of” relationship is for linking a music video to the audio-only recording.

an example of the relationships of music videos and works and whatnot:

both videos use the same audio as the recording linked above, so they’re linked to the audio recording. the karaoke livestream version would not be linked, not only since it’s a different artist, but also it’s a different performance.

now, I’m not sure if a live video and the same audio without the video should or shouldn’t get the Music Video relationship.

also, I count a YouTube video as a release, typically. there’s a release date (and usually a thumbnail) that (in my opinion) can’t be captured with only a standalone recording.

yes and no, singles and even official continuous mix versions of albums could go in a separate release group. as an example, deadmau5’s 4×4=12.

the line between different release groups can be in very different places for different editors tho…

3 Likes

I mean, I have Shelter linked via the Work:

but to me, the video (that’s currently as a standalone recording because of how I interpreted the documentation) should also appear under the Recordings (since it’s done by the same person)

and attached to the Release as well

but I can’t do that without using the ‘music video’ relation for the Release/Recordings, I can only attach it to the Work itself where it’s only showing up on the Work’s recordings, not on the Recording.

now, I’m not sure if a live video and the same audio without the video should or shouldn’t get the Music Video relationship.

also, I count a YouTube video as a release, typically. there’s a release date (and usually a thumbnail) that (in my opinion) can’t be captured with only a standalone recording.

see that’s the part that’s tripping me up - live video with the MR version that would also be used for music shows (ergo, the same audio file as the CD release, just with the main vocal track muted) and a music video all have the same start point. Just one has the main vocal track muted, the other one doesn’t. But a live isn’t a music video imo. There have been several MVs where live scenes are incorporated, but I can’t recall a MV that was taken directly from a live. There have been special uploads that some groups do (like Dreamcatcher) but the song isn’t always labeled as a MV, so that could just be splitting hairs on that count.

Do you think I should merge the standalone recordings into releases and then add them to the release group or…?

if the recordings include new vocals, I’d say they’re probably not “music videos” of the album version.

if the song is labeled as a MV and it uses the vocals from the studio/album version, you’re probably safe to add the “music video” relationship. even otherwise, you probably could if you want, but I don’t know if I would…

you can use standalone recordings when creating a release, so I assume that’s what you mean here. so yes, I’ve been doing this recently. one release per video, and probably one release group per as well? if there’s multiple recordings from the same performance, you could probably combine those release groups. an example I just did work on:

here there’s an official release and a fanmade video of the same show (a fancam?). I don’t know that the World Without End release group actually belongs in the DB, since it’s a rip from the DVD, but I added it anyway for this example.

either way, unofficial releases like these are Bootlegs

if the recordings include new vocals, I’d say they’re probably not “music videos” of the album version.

lol I was about to be ‘well they use the same audio’ and then I got what you’re saying - yes, a live =/= MV.

if the song is labeled as a MV and it uses the vocals from the studio/album version, you’re probably safe to add the “music video” relationship. even otherwise, you probably could if you want, but I don’t know if I would…

would prefer not to use that label for a live unless it is specifically designated as a MV.

(a fancam?)

Fancams (as I use the term) are fan-taken videos of acts at a concert either on a phone or DSLR, not fanmade videos (FMVs). Some music shows have also taken to uploading ‘fancam’ versions of performances where one person is the main focus on the camera work for the camera director to flip to for the recordings, or it’s a static over head cam (good for dancers to get travel directions), or a static wide shot of the entire stage, etc. Some fancams are… rather famous lol (EXID’s Hani’s Up & Down for one, which is an actual fan-taken video) but I’d rather (for the moment) stick with either no fancams or with only the music show ones just so workloads don’t increase exponentially. (bc the thought of dealing with larger groups like Seventeen or Twice or Super Junior is enough to make me want to cry from the sheer quantity of fancams. Carats, I wish you luck bc I’m NOT doing it lol)

Okay so it’s sounding like I should start moving these standalone recordings to releases, and then those releases to release groups if I’m understanding you correctly?

1 Like

This does not sound like a live performance to me, I think the video contains the studio recording of the audio. As this is the official video it would be correct to link this to the album recording with a “music video” relationship. It’s not uncommon that a music video shows the band performing.

If it would not be the studio recording but just a video of e.g. a random concert having been filmed and recorded this would be different. But then the video can just stand on it’s own and be linked to the work, no need to link it to a recording.

3 Likes

No at 1:43, you can clearly hear his breath from the ‘bu’ sound in the mic and can hear the same things at different points through the video. It’s an AR backtrack with the background vocals that one would use at a concert or on a music show that could be throwing you off.

Also, I mean… the guy is the lead vocal in BTOB, a group that’s known for having extremely strong vocals that can nail one of their hardest songs drunk and only accompanied by a guitar and that insist on singing live everywhere. The series/channel he performed Shelter for is called Dingo Live which is live vocals, and if Cube wanted to do a MV, they would have done it, not Dingo. This is very much a live vocals performance, so it doesn’t fit into the MV definition.

Yes, in fact I can name several just off the top of my head that have concert footage, etc as the bulk of the video, but the audio is the studio version with maybe only minor bits at the bridge or some of the adlibs to give it the ‘feel’ of live without having the messiness of live. But this isn’t one of them - for a rock-ballad like Shelter without choreography or with only light choreography, there’d be a storyline type of MV if one was made.

I know I’m kind of laboring the point, I’m just trying to explain what’s intuitive in my own mind to someone else.

Shelter was a live vocal, not just a recording of Changsub standing still and pretending to sing into a mic. The force of the air hitting the mic that you can hear through the entire video is impossible to get without really pushing the air out of your lungs - I mean, you can hold your hand close to your mouth and do a voiced consonant with a vowel and feel the difference in air pressure hitting it between lip sync (pretending to speak), AR (whispering) and live (speaking voice). Changsub also has… a scratchy? kind of quality to his voice when he’s singing live that will get slightly cleaned up in studio versions.

2 Likes

Ok, yes. If that’s indeed a live video recording I think it should just not be linked to the other recording. It’s “just” a separate recording of the same song.

2 Likes