Notes from #MetaBrainz Meeting 2023-11-06

MetaBrainz Meeting 2023-11-06

Meeting start: IRC Logs for #metabrainz | MetaBrainz Chatlogs
Meeting wiki page: MetaBrainz Meeting - MusicBrainz Wiki

Agenda

Last meeting: 2023-10-30
Next meeting: 2023-11-13

@reosarevok: Welcome to another MetaBrainz night! The day length is barely 8 hours, send help.

Reviews

@arsh331 [arsh] removed from /regulars, as they have returned to uni

Post-GSoC ideas

@rob shared that at the 2023 GSoC mentor summit the announcement from Google was ā€œthat the 2024 program wasnā€™t quite ready for announcement. that they were still working on things.ā€

@yvanzo reminds everyone to write down their GSoC ideas in the wiki this month, and we can use those whether GSoC goes ahead or not.

@rob suggests that we should run our own program and sponsor our own students if GSoC goes away, and nothing good arises in its place, but that we should wait and see what happens.

Nobody objects to: wait and see, and we can look at partnering with friendly orgs when or if the time comes.

4 Likes

It looks like somewhere along the line the list of absentees has been dropped. Is this intentional?

looks like arsh was the only one on the list, which was missing last week

2 Likes

There just hasnā€™t been any absentees for a couple of meetings or so - the system works!

Iā€™ll try remember to put ā€˜Absentees: noneā€™ where applicable, so itā€™s clearer.

1 Like

Wasnā€™t arsh AWOL this week? (Which resultred in them being removed from the list.)

arshā€™s removal is in the notes, under the Reviews section - they are back at uni :slight_smile:

If thereā€™s a better place to put absentees (e.g. at the start or at the end?) let me know and I will move it in future (edit: and in this one).

Iā€™m not sure I really care. When I suggested tracking AWOL people and using the ā€œthree strikes and youā€™re outā€ criteria for automatically removing them from the list, the intent was to try to instill some accountability on the people that add themselves to the list for weekly reports, and to provide an open, transparent and fair mechanism for pruning inactive users from the list. Having no-shows on the list tends to waste everybodyā€™s time by calling them and then waiting for a minute or two each only to find out that theā€™re not there.

1 Like

I ask because you missed it here :+1:

1 Like

Was it ever discussed to mirror the IRC to something like a Matrix/Element chat group? I believe Element is a bit more accessible than IRC, as it doesnā€™t require a bouncer, works on multiple devices and offers reliable background push notifications.

1 Like

Not in any official capacity, but if someone wants to volunteer to create mirrors to anywhere where it doesnā€™t require extra admin/moderation then I believe it would be very welcome (e.g. Discord, these forums).

p.s. requiring extra moderation would be probably fine too, but doing it via existing channels would probably require no discussion whatsoever