#MetaBrainz Meeting 2018-04-30
This week I worked on fixing a few bugs with the new relationship editor. There was a problem with the way react-select was filtering entities returned from the search request, caused by a change I made a few weeks ago.
I also fixed some issues with editing/adding relationships in the same form. I’m now hoping to sync up with bukwurm to get the server-side code finished, and then we should be able to release the new editor. Everything is nicely Flow-annotated in the new code, and that’s helped eliminate a few bugs already.
I also updated the contributing guide in the bookbrainz-site repo, to cover a few code style points and talk more about commit message format.
And also had some useful conversations with CatQuest and bukwurm about what would be good to add/fix in BookBrainz in the near future, and about some technical aspects of @shivamt’s GSoC project.
Oh, and I checked BB for signs of Google Analytics, and found nothing.
Last weekend I have met
@iliekcomputers regarding the discussion about AB project and the starting work I would be doing in the coding period.
And I am planning to complete the already open PRs(if more work is required) before coding period begins, once I get a review from him.
Gonna have semester exams starting from tomorrow and a bit tight schedule for the coming week.
This week, I worked on solving the curious case of not refreshing views for Postgres search. Turns out a race condition I was silly enough to miss.
I also worked on relationship editor’s server side code a bit.
Today I started working on CatQuest few recommendations, but ended up improving the way editors are notified of existing entities.
Here’s a small demo, I have since then made disambiguation validation compulsory if the exact name matches for the entity type.
I am in the process of brushing it up and committing in a day or so.
It’s been a busy week with final practicals and a few assignments. Now I’ve final exams in this week and the next one. So, I’m not able to get involved in community bonding in a way students are expected to. I did read the
tutorial on SQL ORM to under mbdata in a much better way. I’m waiting for reviews on BU-11.
just been working a little bit on instruments and releases.
had a very interesting discussion with @LordSputnik and @shivamt
in which @shivamt made a document summarising what we talked about
(and has been working on it too ass is the review he made :D)
but mostly preparing seeds and stuff for spring took most of my time this week, should be back on form next week.
it’s valborgsnatten this night so I’ll be celebrating >:D
Pg spof & scalability
@iliekcomputers noted that he was moving CritiqueBrainz to
queen, and @bitmap pointed to
https://www.reddit.com/r/PostgreSQL/comments/6ky5sj/things_i_wish_i_knew_before_using_pgpoolii/ for «some interesting comments about pgpool» and further noted that «pgpool or looking closer at citus are the best options I see at present». @zas stressed «that’s why i think we need to find people willing to help that have experience with whichever tool we go for» and suggested asking in PostgreSQL channels. @Rob further suggested making a blog post to ask for recommendations, stating «that has worked really well in the past.»
No decision was made per se, other than pursuing PostgreSQL channels and possibly making a blog post and otherwise reaching out to get more help from others.