Not sure if separate release (HDCD vs copy-controlled CD)

Hi all –

I have a CD that is extremely similar to release https://musicbrainz.org/release/896e2e79-9d1c-483e-be5b-71344c41b258. They’re both the soundtrack to the film “Les triplettes de Belleville”. Same label, same catalog number, same UPC code.

But the one in MusicBrainz now is an HDCD, and my copy is a “Copy-Controlled” CD (boo, hiss). My copy has no HDCD logo, but it does have the Big-Brother-ish “Copy-Controllled” logo.

I’m inclined to create a new release, where the only difference is the medium type. Does this sound right?

Thanks!

Greg

1 Like

It seems you already did just that. But it’s the right call. :wink:

I’m not sure if shutterfreak was right to change the medium type earlier though. And what on earth does “All tracks are HDCD except tracks 2 & 19” mean? The medium is either an HDCD or not.

2 Likes

That’s not true. HDCD is just a method of encoding extra information in 16-bit CDDA; if they don’t encode that information on all tracks then those tracks are not HDCD.

See High Definition Compatible Digital - Wikipedia

1 Like

So the CD in question could actually be both HDCD and Copy Control at the same time? Makes things definitely more complicated.

1 Like

I suppose it could, sure.

Yes – that was the main reason I hesitated before creating a new release. The fact that mine has a clear, obvious “Copy-Controlled CD” logo, but not the HDCD logo, made me decide to create a new release.

If the packaging is different (eg different logos or symbols), you can always create a new release with a clear conscience :slight_smile:

Scans would be useful, but maybe ask @shutterfreak in the edit notes or on here to check?
I’ve directed him to this thread in an edit note as well.

I checked my release. The cover and back are not marked as HDCD although most tracks were identified as HDCD on my computer. and indeed, the back has the “copy controlled” logo in the bottom right corner.

So your and my release are most likely the same.

5 Likes

Whoops! OK, I’ll merge the two releases. Thanks for checking!

1 Like

We need a Copy Control HDCD, for this release, don’t we?

I mentioned this case in a comment to the following HDCD ticket:

Did you use wmplayer.exe to see HDCD tracks, @shutterfreak?

1 Like

I didn’t use Windows Media Player for extracting the audio tracks on that release. I have to check on my other machine which tool I used for extracting these tracks.

For the record, all but 2 tracks were encoded in HDCD (or at least, the CODEC identified HDCD bits in all but 2 tracks).

I mean just for detecting HDCD tracks.
I didn’t find another method than inserting the CD in a Windows OS and start playing it with wmplayer.exe.

If you know another quick method, specifically in Linux OS, please tell me. :wink:

I already tried with foo_hdcd in foobar2000/wine that I installed through snap.

But in fact, even in Windows, foo_hdcd does not allow to identify CD tracks without ripping (I did not even try to rip as it’s not what I am looking for).

So I only know of wmplayer.exe and did not find a way to use it in Linux with wine.

There are also CD decks that indicate HDCD but it has to be, neither too ancient (mine was built before HDCD was created) nor too recent (I believe HDCD is now out of fashion in hardware makers, unless you have some model of SACD, Blu-ray or DVD player maybe).

1 Like

HDCD is not all Linux-friendly, but ffmpeg should decode HDCD content from ripped files with the filter option -af hdcd
ffmpeg -i HDCD16.flac -af hdcd OUT24.flac
If you discard the out-file and write to STDOUT (-v verbose) you can probably detect HDCD content.
(I looked up FFmpeg Filters Documentation)
So far I wasn’t very interested in HDCD, but maybe that should change. I’ve got at least 1 HDCD release. :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe this is interesting:

(you may like to scroll down to about the middle of the page …)

Thanks very much for the advice! :slight_smile:
I’m looking for a 1 second HDCD in drive detector. Ripping is too long. :wink:
It’s just for editing my releases correctly in MB, not to hear the HDCD difference.

1 Like

If you find one, please tell me! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like