"Not for distribution in Japan"

I have a release that I thought was this one. I realized today that the release I linked was distributed only in Japan on the Polydor label, but the one I have is clearly marked “NOT for Distribution In Japan,” and is on Universal. A couple years ago I mistakenly added cover art from my release to the Japan-only release linked above.

I’m in the process of fixing this, but I’m not sure what to put for the country on the release I’m adding. The fine print says “Manufactured and printed in Korea,” but it also says “…to be distributed outside Japan only.”

So what should it be? I think my choices are “Korea,” “Worldwide,” and “select every country except Japan” (but I really dislike releases with a huge list of countries).

What would you do?

The barcode is from South Korea, the back cover gives the record company’s URL as .co.kr, etc.

4 Likes

Another question on the same release: I am not a Japanese speaker, and the release title is confusing me. The title on the cover and the CD includes both Japanese characters and latin characters, like this:

I have always assumed that ‘Futo’ is just a romanized version of the title. Out of curiosity, I pasted the Japanese characters into Google Translate, and it did not translate to ‘Futo,’ or anything close to it. In fact, Google shows a romanized version of the text as ‘Kaze hito.’

I know Google is far from perfect, but it has left me wondering whether my assumption was correct, or if Google is just wrong, or if there is some other meaning to the pairing of the Japanese characters with the romanized word.

So my question is for any Japanese-literate editor: Is this release/RG titled correctly? I added ‘Futo’ as an alias for the release. Is that correct?

It’s not possible for machine translation to know the reading of kanji.

2 Likes

Yes. It’s one of the many different ways the kanji can be read.

1 Like

means wind/typhoon, reads , inherited from Chinese fōng.
鳳-oracle.svg

means human, reads jin/nin, and less frequently but also commonly hito as a single-character phrase or scientifically (ヒト).
(If you try the pronounciation feature of Google Translate, it reads 風人 as fū-jin, based on usage frequency and combination patterns.)

Combining fu and to from hito, you get futo.

See also:
“=” in Discogs title: https://www.discogs.com/release/14711614-宗次郎-風人-Futo
South Korean tracklist: 風人 (Futo) - 벅스

4 Likes