New digital release adds

I specifically asked if you were assuming or if you knew in order not to make any assumptions. “Do you actually know this, or do you assume this?” seems to clearly ask if this is a factual statement or an assumption. Fact was even before assumption, there is no assertion in that statement.

If you want to say I am new to digital releases, that is your opinion. I never put myself in front of or behind anyone else. Even if I know 90% of something, that means there are others that know something I do not. I only question what does not seem to make sense in the interest of clarity. I personally do not see how it is fact that just because a list of vendors that use a barcode do not include a few countries to mean that all vendors do the same. That is simply not how logic works. If there is some sort of proof, it is not presented. What is presented is one way logic, thus the question.

And this puts an end to the topic. You are using examples from selected stores and stating that all stores are the same. This is not something I will participate in. If you restrict the release to only those three vendors, then sure. But that does not appear to be what was done. Licensing is often different between vendors, so there seems to be confusion here.

If looking at things using pure logic is not acceptable here, ok. This is supposed to be factual work. Ability to prove everything entered. To me, that means that if you make a statement in edit that proves something for three vendors/stores, that release is specific to those three vendors/stores.

You are free to find exceptions, and then vote accordingly.

This region list kind of looks to me like we should have that in the MB country list. If that is the typical structuring of the earth in music stores, mirroring this in MB would help reduce the country list issue.

5 Likes

Coincidentally, I added these two digital releases right now.

I don’t understand how it would be helpful to mark both of these digital versions as [worldwide].

(though, to repeat, the UI/display needs work)

3 Likes

After thinking I do want to respond to this. Please enlighten us all on how all this works. As you have claimed 20+ years experience on digital releases, you were clearly one of the very first to even do a digital release.

The fact that you feel insulted on a question asking if fact or assumption, then your reply only proves that you are assuming, is strange to me. Your solution s seems to be… let’s make some assumptions to create mass edits, knowing it is not 100% correct. In order to solve this, other editors can monitor all your work, and vote no when you are wrong.

As far as who needs to learn, you might want to first understand that anyone who has “decades” of experience in something that is just decades old sounds like the words of the roommate of Al Gore, you know, when he was creating the internet. This is 2022. That makes the overall digital release world approx 22 years old… and the very first ever digital release was in 1997.

What I suggest you learn is how logic works. Just because you can prove that three sources do things in a certain way does not mean that all do, and it does not mean that all users follow the same protocols. That is not how logic works. As I mentioned, if you want to use the logic of three vendors, then make the release specific to those three vendors. Do not apply logic that is not there to other sources, unless you can also prove that to be true, which you have not and do not do. You are the one asserting your assumptions on others while sitting denial that you are doing this. Simply looking at the MB database shows us that the industry does not always follow the rules we assume they should. This is why we validate our edits, at least we are supposed to.

While I get that editors, as you are doing, want to make mass edits and do less work, that defeats the quality levels. You are making edits that you use generalizations to provide reference, which is not a valid reference. Do I think you are “messing things up”? ABSOLUTELY. You are creating edits based on assumptions and forcing it on other users. Not all agree with what you are doing either. Maybe think before you run your mouth with assertions while accusing others of doing just that, when no such thing was done. Otherwise, just keep to yourself if you believe your opinions cannot be questioned. As an editor, if you are asked to prove your edit, that is on you to do.

I was talking about you passive-aggressively attacking @tigerman325 who gives his time and hard work, just like everybody else, to make the database better.

That attitude is unacceptable - if you are new to entering digital releases into this long-standing database don’t come in here and start waving your hands about how it’s all wrong and existing editors are doing “insane” things.

This is a community database and if you think the way we do recordings, ISRC, DiscID, AcoustID and digital releases (so far…) is extremely stupid and broken and wrong then this database might not be for you. Or stay and restrain yourself from insulting the community of volunteers.

BTW if you can prove that this release is available worldwide, be my guest. Barcode 00602445714490. I work from evidence - the edits you have issue with provides it. You are free to counter it.with yours.

1 Like

I feel you are the one that attacked me. There is a difference between disagreeing with an edit and directing it to a person. I have nothing against tigerman325. I do have something against you attacking me directly stating I have stuff to learn. You do not know me, I do not know you. Once you told me my statement was taken my you as insulting, I made sure to state that was not at all the intent, I was asking a question. Your response directly attacked me.

I have been asking questions a lot, trying to understand. In that, I see not all agree with the process of adding a huge list of countries, yet it is just forced on all by those that do it. I feel that it is the job of the editor to prove their edit. However, you state it is the job of others to disprove it. This is backwards to me. If you state a certain barcode is something, you should prove that it is. As I mentioned, if you take that release and make it for that specific three stores, all good there. You can then add any others that you can prove match the same criteria.

You are the one that claimed 20+ years of experience (ie “decades” means 2 or more by definition). The whole start where you found my question insulting, at least as I see where the insults started. I see nothing wrong with the question, as both answers could be acceptable. All that was needed is to say… yes I am assuming, but it is based on this and that. That is all I was asking, but I needed to derive it from your later statements.

Sorry again you took it offensive. As I stated, it was not intended in that way, and I made that very clear. Yes, I disagree with the editing that was done, due to the above. I do not disagree with tigerman325 for making edits. Anyone could have made the edit, it would have made the point no different.

I find your insult unacceptable. I am not giving you basic instructions on things, as that is also insulting. I have clearly asked how to do things in MB style, and I question what does not make sense. “is extremely stupid and broken and wrong”, those are your words. No need to make something an issue that is not there. Questioning and debating does not mean what you state. All I have stated I do my best to provide logic and reasoning, a use case, etc to explain why I am questioning. The AcoustID, it was shown that my point was in fact correct. Is that not good info? It was told to me that the AcoustID did not care about the encoder, turns out it does. This is known now because I questioned it. I did not say it was stupid, I gave an example that challenged. Did you read that thread?

I was talking about tigerman325 when I referred to years/decades of experience (yes, decades was an exaggeration). How you refer to them (messing things up, doing something insane), without inviting them to the discussion, is not ok.

I don’t know why you’re saying you disagree with what “I’m” doing, as I haven’t added any countries to your release. I looked at the evidence that tigerman325 has supplied on that evidence, and the counter evidence, and voted accordingly.

Honestly, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday and I should not have posted. I am sorry. But I stand by my posts - it was not okay to talk about tigerman325’s edits in that way behind their back (without linking here from the edit). Thinking that I would just assume something wasn’t available in NZ was annoying, but I should have let it slide.

By the way, if you got your release from an international store, add it as [worldwide] with that as the source. Nobody will stop you, I certainly wont. I add plenty of [worldwide] digital releases. But that Discogs release was based off a version with a barcode that nobody’s shown was released in NZ (note: I have no idea why. Usually I can find another release, different barcode, that has it here. This release is weird)

2 Likes

This was a misunderstanding, you have now clarified what you were referring to.

I can see your point here. I did not do as you state as I never mentioned a person’s name. I had no intent on calling anyone out, that is my belief, my opinion, and it is not directed at any specific user(s).

I think this was also a misunderstanding, and I thought I corrected after you stated. I did not assume this, I asked. Since that script identifies that three stores use a barcode in the same, there is an “assumption” that all that all do the same (as I see it). That is what I am questioning… do we know this or are we assuming this… we is better you use, as again I am not directing the script usage/style/results/etc at any one user.

I agree with the edits from that script as long as all the sources are those queried by the script, or are otherwise proven the same. I had an edit where a barcode was added to the release, and I asked the editor on this. The editor responded showing the other references fall in line. Perfect! That was what I questioned and now it is proven in the notes.

I am trying to make an effort to detail my edits further, by advice of others here. To do this, I need to understand in more detail the true workings of things. My questioning of all the items you list above is to gain that understanding. Pointing out issues, or potential issues, is how we learn and improve. I certainly did not realize the AcoustID could be different from a quality MP3 to a WAV. I am glad I questioned it. I would have expected a poor MP3 to have this difference, but was a bit surprised that a quality one did. This also changes how I think about edits. I no longer look at the AcoustID the same. I know now that the clean and explicit versions can very well have the same AcoustID, so I should not consider that in trying to differentiate.

All is good, I get it. I come off as aggressive a lot, and when it is misinterpreted, that is on me. I do want to add though, the last edit you commented on with the countries, note I did not vote no. I abstained and stated my point. I left it at that. I am not trying to interfere or block things based on a belief or opinion like this until a proper guideline is published to address it. Then a “violation” is clear vs opinion.

1 Like

My screenshots from the submission tools should provide some insight into why it’s generally accepted that they all would.

I don’t know why a label would have a license for countries based on storefront. But I don’t think anyone’s saying it’s impossible that they might do something strange. But I couldn’t find anywhere in this case that let’s me listen in NZ.

But if there’s examples of other storefronts differing (but having the same label and barcode), then that would be very interesting, and it should be taken into the equation.

If you feel your addition was hijacked then fair enough, that sucks. But we don’t really have ‘catch-all’ digital releases in the same way we don’t for CD’s. If you wanted to be safe I would use a storefront like Bandcamp as reference when you can, and link it. BC will be worldwide 99% of the time, and people will leave it. Mostly :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I get what you say here. However, I try to add what it is that I have. If I have an iTunes release, I do my best to add an iTunes release, and when possible, even match up the sore ID and Album IDs. That is me being overly picky as it is not really needed. I do this because the iTunes stores as example sometimes differ in small details from store to store, and the only way to tell is the Apple IDs within…

Saying that, it is possible that the barcode might also do this. I do not know. None of the iTunes releases I have include a barcode, so I have nothing to base any sort of decision or opinion on.

Maybe this is something others can help with? I often use the Album ID within the iTunes file as my “barcode”, as it will tell me in perfect detail exactly where it came from. Each store (unless it changed) will have a different Album ID for its release. This is something MB does not currently keep track of.

This is something else that puzzles me with such releases. Using iTunes again, there is no mention of a label. All they disclose is the (p) holder and vendor with ISRC. When I say this, I refer to what is in the metadata of the files. Given that with a CD neither of these is proper for “label” selection, where is the label coming from?

This is one of my issues… I understand that you say same label+barcode, that is how MB is structured, but if I have these releases, I dont know either of those pieces of data. The only way to get it is to already know where it came from… in order to know where it came from. That is poor wording, but maybe you see what I mean?

EDIT: I wanted to add in case some are not aware. I use iTunes a lot for references. I greatly dislike Apple, how they operate, treat customers, etc. I use a lot of iTunes releases (or M4As made with qaac / CoreAudio (iTunes) due to the quality of the result compared to other lossy formats, primarily the MP3. The great majority of my digital library is M4A and FLAC… I even purge MP3 files when I can replace them with M4A even. Just wanted to be clear that I in no way personally support and stand by Apple.

Every iTunes, Spotify, etc, release has a barcode number. But it’s not displayed on the page, because I guess Apple assumes there’s no use for the end user. So why do they have it? Because it identifies releases - and their (c), royalties, and in what region those should apply.

As you’ve mentioned it would be kinda crazy to have a new release for every storefront. So it’s actually really convenient that labels are forced to use a submission middle-man to submit to all these stores, and do it all together, because they get one UPC when they do that step. Now we can check for that code on the website (via, for instance, A-Tisket, or simply ‘view page source’ in the browser) group these releases and not go absolutely insane trying to add a thousand releases with duplicate information - or adding one with no information or a jumble of information.

It’s even more useful if you are interested in music information that goes beyond the file you have on your hard drive - after all, some people are also interested in tracking label catalogues, digital rights, all that stuff. This way we can uncover, logically group, and provide information on what label has rights and who owns the (c)/(p) where.

In terms of practical use we’re really using the digital barcode the same as a barcode on a physical CD, which isn’t really there for the practical user but for store use - but sure can be handy for identifying an ‘item’. As an aside, if technology had given us cheap and effective ‘invisible’ barcodes I don’t think we would see ever them on physical releases either, which is what we’re seeing happen here.

Btw when I first starting adding digital stuff I also added them as [no barcode], and I also questioned on the forums why we were adding them if I couldn’t see them, believe it or not!! :shushing_face:

3 Likes

I never felt personally attacked. We all cool :-), Just doesn’t like the country lists. I get that. I will reiterate though that it’s not about where stores are located, even though that’s how a-tisket finds where a release is licensed. It’s really about that more than anything. Only using atisket is a first step, but I always follow up on my release adds with Jaxsta which shows the full distribution lists of where a release is licensed for sell. A lot of times it actually helps prove that a release is a full Worldwide release even when a-tisket excepts small island nations, etc. It’s not 100%, but definitely the best resource on the internet for finding what countries or regions a release is licensed.

3 Likes

I appreciate the understanding. It seems got a little carried away and the actual happenings started to get lost a bit.

I completely understand the back end portion of the barcode. Why it is not displayed to the user, I am not sure as well. Honestly, as a user (not thinking MB), I really do not care, I actually care more on the Album ID, which was mainly what I was thinking. I can see how the barcode might help others though, as even aside from that, adding more detail never hurts if it is proper. I am one who likes the “non MB label” labels, so I get your comment there. They provide good value to me.

My main question is that, looking at myself only, I have tons of iTunes files, and thus, tons of AlbumIDs and no barcodes. I would love it if I could utilize MB to decipher those AlbumIDs, since they do not always live long on Apple’s web site. What I wonder is if there is some correlation between the barcode and the AlbumID. I have no data to tally for this, so to get a solid sample would take a lot of effort (a lot of barcodes to lookup). If someone already has this in their data set, I wonder if some sort of useful relationship might be found there. I think it wold be great to be able to use MB to identify what digital release is in my hand, same as I can a CD.

In the thread I started on the barcode logic, my intent was to find out how the data is actually used. I recall someone making a comparison something to the like of same as a guest artist, or who played guitar. I see value in that. Case: I like drummer Joe. I cam look up all recordings Joe played drums on. If I apply that to the barcode though, what do I gain on digital? On a CD, I gain the ability to identify my CD.

I just try and place logic on things. What is it, why is it there, and what purpose does it serve. At the very start of my issues with digital, I got frustrated because when I looked up a CD, I could quickly identify which MB entry was in my hand. With digital, the parameters shown to me on the release screen are not even on my release, thus providing secondary value on a primary screen… if that makes sense. Not meaning there is no value, I guess more misplaced value?

1 Like

Here you go :-). Yes, all IDs have a corresponding UPC and DanielTB80 has been updating them for a couple of years now. So, nothing before 2020 that had been removed, but it’s been a great help if you know an ID and a release is no longer available. Great text file and has every Apple release!

2 Likes

I use the barcodes all the time. I use them to verify if a release on Spotify, Apple, Deezer, Tidal, 7digital, etc. are the same release or not. They also help in determining ISRCs on ISRCsearch or SCPP. While now not as needed with scripts getting them from the API it is still handy in identifying releases. They are given by the label and are used on many different services even independent ones or sometimes even Bandcamp and Soundcloud have the same barcodes, so they are not unique typically to a certain store, unless of course that store has an exclusive release of some sort.

Thanks. I will look at this. Unfortunately the older stuff is already gone (if I understand you correctly), but this is at least enough for me to see if my thoughts might hold true. Maybe (hopefully) it is also database driven. Otherwise I can make one and update it depending on how often the file is updated. Interesting…

I have done/been doing this in a different way, not using barcode… sending query to the iTunes API to locate the AlbumIDs. The main issue in my methods is when iTunes closes the store page for that ID… then the data is lost using my method. That is one of the reasons I treat a lot of metadata like gold on such releases.

As a side not on the topic, one thing I find interesting is that I can have a release with two different AlbumIDs, but the contents are identical, aside from the relevant metadata. I do a lot of digital recording matching based on the ISRC, and I find it interesting how you can essentially build releases vs buying the same recordings multiple times. Obviously I am aware that comp releases reuse previously released recordings, I just find it interesting that the ISRC allows the creation of them, with proper versions too, quickly.

EDIT: for active IDs, I wanted to note that the iTunes Artwork Finder works for this. It will take the ID as search criteria and provide the cover art for it. The possibilities here are intriguing.

1 Like

So… it seems that with that binary a conversion from ID to UPC is a click and literally a second away. This would be easy to have a web based UI pull directly from it. Has anyone done this yet, that you are aware of? Thinking through the most effective way to extract data as sometimes using the terminal is not convenient. There is no sense in playing with an end game that is already there.

Is the Apple albumID the last bit in an apple release page url? In that case I guess we do store them, but in the relationship field (like with Amazon IDs). Not sure if that’s the ID though

1 Like

Yes, as long as the store ID is correct, that is it. It is also called CollectionID and I think a few others depending on which naming convention for the data is used.

2 Likes