Need opinions on artist's birthday (Blank Banshee, conflicting dates)

so, I’ve come to an impasse, and I’d like some opinions from the community…

basically, I’ve got conflicting birth years from two seemingly accurate sources:

• 1988, from MusicBrainz edit #42982137 appears to be from the artist, using the name of Blank Banshee’s personal label, Hologram Bay. also only has a few edits, all on Blank Banshee/Hologram Bay entities (see history), acting as tho they’re someone the label (and very well might be? I dunno)
  • 1986, from a Melisma Magazine interview, which seems legit, but it’s a source I’ve never heard of before finding it through a RYM profile edit. in the interview, they even joke about Wikipedia having the wrong year, 1987 (which I changed to 1988 before finding this whole mess)

I don’t know which date to go with, looking for advice~

3 Likes

If in doubt the year should just be deleted. The artist’s own twitter page says June 28 so at least that part seems good.

That being said, the interview feels more credible to me (it is also much more recent than the hologrambay edit).

Also from the same interview: “When I was 13 and I was first discovering music, Napster was my gateway to music and I downloaded huge amounts of music and I fell in love with so much of it, and I paid for none of it.” – Someone born on June 28, 1988 probably wasn’t using Napster much when they were 13 years old, but someone born June 28, 1986 would have been 13 for a good chunk of Napster’s useful existence.

I find it a bit amusing that your Wikipedia change was reverted because of no “proper reference”, but the 1987 date was added without any reference whatsoever and it is somehow better?

3 Likes

that’s a fair point. makes me lean a bit more towards '86 over '88

that’s kinda hilarious, lol

edit: opened a topic on their talk page for discussion over there: Talk:Blank Banshee - Wikipedia

2 Likes