Need help understanding if this is a remaster, a remix, or neither

This is track 11 on Release group “Riot City Outlaws” by Paddy and the Rats - MusicBrainz

As seen in the picture the original(top) has a longer fade-out at the end compared to the altered(bottom) version released later under Napalm Records. It’s not a massive difference but it is noticeable.

There are a few other edits to the tracks between the 2 versions of this album but most are not significant and usually just have an extra second of silence for example.

1 Like

Different mix is different recording

If it was a new mix, you would not hear the same thing. For example the bass could be more prominent and the percussions could be less than before. Or they could have put another take of the guitar solo, etc.

Remaster is same recording

If it just sounds “louder”, it’s just a remaster.

Missing stuff is different recording

On your picture, there is a 4 second shorter fade out? Does this cut remove an outro solo or another significant sound? If not, we could maybe ignore this relatively short difference.

1 Like

I think it sounds roughly the same but the amount it fades is altered I guess is how I would describe it. For example, exaggerated, it now fades 20% more per half second than in the original. The original has more extended reverb fading out than the new one.

original: SndUp | Post Info
new: SndUp | Post Info

Probably equivalent to what remastering would be.

1 Like

I would consider these two outros the same.
It’s up to you to see if it should still be different recordings, due to the rest of the tracks.

Same recording it is.

Fade outs are already covered as something that usually results in the same MB Recording: Style / Recording - MusicBrainz

4 Likes

Sorry, I tried looking through the docs first but somehow missed that.