Need consultation regarding label editing

Greetings, community.

I am seeking your help regarding some label editing. I must “confess” that i didnt pay much attention to this subject before.

So…

1. MB guide says that we can use this site to find label codes - LC. So lets say if i open this label and see Label code 98454, i could check it there and make sure that this is indeed a label code and its correct one. Following this i could by analogy add/check other labels from this label site for example.

2. What could be the most suitable kind of link pointing to the label? This one again for example. Label provides a lot of info, including LC, full discography, ability to listen/stream all tracks and detailed metadata ranging from actual writers to tags describing the tracks, not to mention that album presented there qualifies to be release by itself, since it contains all tracks including the underscore/versions/stems which usually not available in public releases. It “could” be treated as official site in case if we know that the label located on parent site (BMG production in that case), but there also other regional or “proxy” site which provide similar album data (like this Italian for example). Also there could be separate label specific sites, but they are more like marketing/promo to me and isnt quite useful in terms of metadata gathering.

3. What to do when potential labels “conflict” when you are adding label from digital stores using a-tisket for example? Lets take this one:
    This album belongs to “Epic Score” label and has a catalogue number “ES-0079”, but when we import it from spotify a-tisket pulls “Brace Yourself” as a label. So… Could it be that “Brace Yourself” here is not an actual label, but more like a publisher or so, i.e. some other entity? If so how to reflect all this info correctly?

I am thinking about going back retrospectively to releases i have added and correct label data there. Here is my subscriptions to the stuff most of which i have added by myself if someone interested.

1 Like

Maybe to understand better, what kind of things would you like to correct in your past label edits?

Thats why i created this topic, but if no one interested, i will have to do as i see it.

Adding links to labels can be done. Helps with research. Helps fill in backgrounds.

2 - your first link seems to be a discography (“catalog of records”). Also you can strip the URL back and link as the Home Page.

The FlipperMusic link looks more like an Italian shop. So you can set that as a “purchase music for mail order” and\or “purchase music to download”.

Basically look at the list of choices and see what you can make fit

The Twitter\Facebook\Instagram pages are good to add as often show current events and dates can be located on there.

I have added fan made discographies. For older \ obsolete label these are often more complete. Discogs links are always useful and can often be a source of more links.

3 - Digital Stores I find a little odd and inconsistent. I don’t understand their data as they seem to often swap the copyright into the label field. They seem to more thinking of who to give the payment too and not always who released it originally. :grin:

1 Like

2 - your first link seems to be a discography (“catalog of records”).

As to me actually that link qualifies for several criterions there, but i have to select the most fitting one. I suppose such links to labels deserve its own “type” and i even made a ticket about this long ago, may be someone would be interested to comment and vote for it.

The Twitter\Facebook\Instagram pages are good to add as often show current events and dates can be located on there.

Yes, there are such links for this certain label, but i have added them to artist page. Its of one of such cases where Label Name = Artist Name and this is a case i discussed in this ticket.

3 - Digital Stores I find a little odd and inconsistent.

Yes, i understand what you mean. Thats why i want to clarify this question in this thread, so my edits wont raise argues and “no” edits at this subject. :smile:

You can make multiple selections for one URL. Click the “Add more relationships” button.

There is a slightly interesting tangent here… the URL is a regional based one. So it will show different as en-ru or en-us. Not sure what MB guidelines suggest on that. I’d probably try and point to one nearest to the label’s home region.

I would add to both. Some people will look at artist, some will look at label.

Anything to do with changing how things works \ Tickets I can’t really comment on. I just work within the system we have now.

As to Digital - there be dragons… I just don’t follow the odd confusions in there as I don’t really do streaming.

I also forgot to ask in my first post about label “type”
I suppose such production labels could qualify for their own type.

Your screenshot is showing Artist types, not Label types.
I don’t really get it why you want to set labels as release artists while each track has an artist, so it could be a Various Artists release with that release label.

Yes but I don’t find your question(s) in the OP, sorry. :joy:

I answer same as @jesus2099. That is an artist page. I don’t know this label, but can I check you are not just trying to avoid using “Various Artists” on a compilation CD. I assume the tracks are actually credited on releases with that name due to being anonymous session musicians, etc.

Your screenshot is showing Artist types, not Label types.

Yeah, wrong screenshot, sorry.

I don’t really get it why you want to set labels as release artists

Well, I gave my reasons in the ticket i mentioned, you can read them if you wish.

Yes but I don’t find your question(s) in the OP, sorry. :joy:

Yeah, yeah… Very funny.

I don’t know this label, but can I check you are not just trying to avoid using “Various Artists” on a compilation CD.

I should mention that such labels are “original production” (if i understand this term correctly) - i mean this albums not just a tracks compilation from other sources. As for credits - every track has a composer(s) credits, but as for performers - they are often not mentioned at all, even ft. vocals.

If this is the label that creates the music, then “Original Production” seems best fit.

Where I often get confused is when one label creates, distributes, publishes and holds the copyrights. In those cases I do get a little lost as which one to select and often leave it blank.

I think what @jesus2099 meant was your questions were not that clear. For example Question 1 is not really a question but just a statement of intent.

2 Likes

Various Artists is not only for compilations, by the way.

Various Artists is not only for compilations, by the way.

Yes, of course.

BTW, may be you can give me an advice…

There is a Sonoton label with LC code 07573. I suppose its assumed that prefixes SCD/ SCDV/ STT/ STTV/ SAS belong to it too, but on the site they look more like separate labels:
# SONOTON MUSIC (SCD)
# SONOTON VANGUARD (SCDV)
# SONOTON TRAILER TRACKS (STT)
# SONOTON TRAILER TRACKS VANGUARD (STTV)