Musical spam and the Code of Conduct

Our general principle is that all music belongs in MusicBrainz, as per our About page:

“We do not discriminate or prefer one “type” of music over another, and we try to collect information about as many different types of music as possible. Whether it is published or unpublished, popular or fringe, western or non-western, human or non-human — we want it all in MusicBrainz.”

In the last few years we’ve started seeing an annoying trend where non-musical people will (assumingly for SEO) get “music” made for them, which then gets uploaded to streaming sites. In some cases this is not even music, but just a spoken voice. This theoretically means they qualify for a MusicBrainz entry, but this just helps them with their fraudulent SEO, which is not really something we want to do.

We discussed this during today’s team meeting and decided that we’re going to consider this sort of spammy releases as a breach of point 9 of our code of conduct (“Do not abuse or game any of our projects”).

As such, if you see a release that is clearly spam rather than legitimate music, you should remove it as going against the code of conduct, and report the adding editor if it seems they intentionally added it and they are not a good-faith editor. Err on the side of caution though - a company jingle is not spam in itself, and if a person whose main job is not music makes some actual music for fun, that should still be accepted; we want to avoid bad-faith releases, not everything promotional in nature.

We hope this helps limit the amount of this content added to MusicBrainz without compromising our acceptance of legitimate audio. We will revisit this decision as needed if it proves too little or too much.

24 Likes

Thanks @reosarevok!

I thought this might open a can of worms, regarding music where it’s not clear who made it (e.g. influencers who are making music for shady purposes, but are still making music), but there’s clearly some egregious examples that should be scrubbed…

If anyone wants to dig in and have a rare chance to use that ‘remove’ button there’s a few likely candidates on the ‘spam’ tag page.

8 Likes

nice work! I see a lot of this behaviour over on places like The Internet Archive so I agree completely.

At least make a kickin drum and bass tune or something to sell your hosting services :laughing:

4 Likes

I’m putting through a number of spam reports for SEO-junk profiles; sorry reo :frowning:

2 Likes

Nice. Shoutout to those “in the know”.

BTW, some entries tagged with spam can’t be seen on tag pages because they have been downvoted by the original editor. E.g Mahdi Hejrati - MusicBrainz

4 Likes