Multi-lingual liner notes

If a release has liner notes in English, French and German (for eg), should this be recorded as Language: Multiple Languages?

No. Liner notes are irrelevant for the release language
Release - MusicBrainz “The language a release’s track list is written in”. For multilingual track lists of vocal tracks (mostly found in classical) I’d use the language in which the tracks are performed

2 Likes

Style / Release - MusicBrainz says something slightly different (emphasis mine):

The language attribute should be used for the language used for the release title and track titles.

@reosarevok, which one is correct?

1 Like

The language attribute should be used for the language used for the release title and track titles.

If the release title language is different from the majority of track titles, I would still select the language of the majority.

1 Like

What @ernstlx said - some people want us to also take into account the language of the artist credits, although I’m not quite sold :slight_smile: But in any case not the liner notes.

Agreed that it usually won’t make a difference in practice, but any objections to me updating the Release wiki to instead read “The language the release title and track titles are written in.” and “The script used to write the release title and track titles.”?

1 Like

Go ahead :slight_smile: (beep-boop, character-county)

2 Likes

Thanks, version 77627 is ready for transclusion. (Should I be filing a ticket to request this?)

2 Likes

No need for this kind of thing - especially since this isn’t even a style page :slight_smile: Transcluded!

1 Like

What would it be for this CD (from Japan)

https://musicbrainz.org/release/3b79a106-df5f-4e0f-89fa-d394d405aaa9/cover-art

Given that every title at https://musicbrainz.org/release/3b79a106-df5f-4e0f-89fa-d394d405aaa9 is currently in English, the release language should be English.

(Maybe others have opinions about whether this release should instead be using the Japanese track titles from the back cover rather than the English titles from the medium. I want to say I’ve seen people say that packaging is the preferred source, but I can’t find it now and I don’t edit enough physical media to be sure.)

1 Like