Capitalization for languages with no capitalization rules on MB

This topic reminded me of another problem I had recently.

Gaelic (Scottish Gaelic) is not in the list of language specific guidelines. What guidelines apply to other languages?

Dan y dŵr (translates to Beneath the Waters) was altered recently, but the majority of track titles and the related work have still English capitalization.

I looked at what is printed, but that’s first letter each word or all uppercase. Most reviews and lyrics pages use English capitalization. No-one uses first letter only.

1 Like

I don’t remember where, but I seem to remember reading somewhere in the docs to use sentence case for non-English languages unless otherwise specified (could be misremembering this tho)

(not familiar with Gaelic either, so I don’t know if I can help with this specific case)

4 Likes

I have a memory of that as well. Inconveniently, I can’t find that passage in the documentation now.

I’ve made the edit on “Dan y dŵr” that @ernstlx is referring to, and, although it was 3 years ago, I think I was going by that instruction.

1 Like

…and it’s somehow logical. Not many countries have rules for specific title capitalization. In this case it’s only that mostly British reviewers use instinctively English capitalization. I’ve never seen this for titles in Romani and I have used sentence case without thinking.