Merging releases with different number of tracks

Hi All,

I just found a duplicated release which I would like to merge to the correct one:

Release “Crashing Aeroplanes” by Andreas Ammer & F.M. Einheit - MusicBrainz (duplicate)
Release “Crashing Aeroplanes” by Andreas Ammer & F.M. Einheit - MusicBrainz (correct)

Notice that every detail is the same (release event, label, catalog no, Discogs link), just the number of tracks is different. I own this release, and actually there’s just one long track on the CD. The 13 tracks in the duplicate release probably come from botched Discogs import from Ammer / Einheit – Crashing Aeroplanes (2002, CD) - Discogs.

What is the right approach to proceed here? Should I merge all the 13 bogus tracks into the long one, fix the track listing and then merge the releases? Or is there another way?

3 Likes

You’re right it seems to come from bad/lazy Discogs import edit (it’s actually not super obvious that all these were sub track titles) and it does not contain any details that would come from a split rip (no fingerprints, no track length).

So you’re right you could merge as you explain.
But we could also just remove the release as well.

According to package, I think we could rename track and recording with multiple title style.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer. I will proceed as I described. Recording merges are pending: Open Edits for Crashing Aeroplanes - MusicBrainz

I think we could rename track and recording with multiple title style

Since this is one of our guidelines then I think we should, but I must say I don’t really like the way it looks. The way it’s presented in Discogs is much better IMO.

Would it be possible to somehow store the sub-titles for such long tracks as separate entities in the database, and display them in a way similar to Discogs? That would be a huge plus for readability. Has it been considered before? (I guess so, I can’t be the first person to come up with such idea).

1 Like

This might be what you’re asking for:

A somewhat related one, but the opposite (ie., instead of splitting one track into finer segments, allow to group multiple tracks into a larger group (e.g., “Bonus”)):

I added an edit to change the track listing of your found duplicate release, so that the two releases can get merged together:
https://musicbrainz.org/edit/69692102

5 Likes

That ticket has been on the tracker for a mere 7 years… needs to ripen for at least another 2 years before being taken seriously :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your votes and additional edits. :+1:

1 Like