Merging DJ-mix tracks with same fingerprint as normal one

Hello,

Example here with CD 1 mixed and CD 2 not.
Should the tracks mixed which have same fingerpritns as the non mixed one be merged or not?

PS: If you dont have the addin to show them directly here are the tracks I m talking about

You have included no links so we don’t know what you are talking about.

If “mixed” just means gapless, then they are same recordings.

If “mixed” includes an overlap of the tunes where one is playing at the same time as the next one, then they are separate recordings.

As they are sharing fingerprints it sounds like they are not very mixed to me.

Sorry, here is it

I as kind of thinking to keep separated to avoid possible misleading that can end up to further errors.

1 Like

DJ-mixed tracks are meant to be kept separate. So unless we were 100% sure they’re just the same, I’d do that.

It depends really. AcoustID sometimes struggles (or at least used to struggle) with some differences - for example, two versions of the same song sharing an instrumental but with a slightly different vocalist would sometimes get the same AcoustID.

This is probably the better move. If listening to track 3 on its own from either disk sounds different to the ear at the start or end of the track, then they are separate recordings.

How does ISRC play into this? I’d have thought sharing an ISRC would be a guarantee that the license holder considers them the same recording, so they can be merged. There are some ISRCs that include tracks from DJ-mix albums eg US-PR3-79-02457. (I’ve checked, “The Last Party” is listed as a licensed release on ISRCSearch). So, should these be merged, or excluded because “The Last Party” is being marketed as a DJ Mix?
This might be a bad example, actually, since it appears to be a big-label release masquerading as a real “DJ Mix” release. According to the annotation, “Music Inspired by the Book The Last Party: Studio 54, Disco and the Culture of the Night” (though they do seem to have retained some real DJs to put it together).

I wouldn’t trust ISRC as the only truth for either merging or keeping them separate. Yes, in theory that means the license holder considers them the same, but that’d require the license holder to a) understand the system and b) care enough. Not everyone does either.

5 Likes

Please never merge DJ-mixed tracks with the original/separate tracks.

1. ISRCs mean nothing. In compilations of edited/cut/DJ-mixed tracks, the ISRC used is usually for the original, pre-edited recording. So the same ISRC will be present across multiple MusicBrainz Recordings.
  2. AcoustID intentionally ignores a variable amount of the early part of the fingerprint, allowing entirely different edits to have the same AcoustID - see the comparison. The minimum definition of a DJ-mix is that the beginning and end of the audio has been crossfaded/layered onto other audio. So again, the same AcoustID will be present across multiple MusicBrainz Recordings.
7 Likes