Merging different artists releasing under umbrella group name?

Here is another issue I’d like some feedback on. It concerns the artist called Trancemission. As far as I can tell, there are three relevant entries in MB:

Trancemission (Koen Groeneveld & Addy van der Zwan)
Trancemission (trance/euro-house)
Trancemission (Rene Van Der Weyde)

Technically these are all the same group, but note that the disambiguation field already contains conflicting information. According to Discogs

Trancemission was a "group" created by the Stealth Records and Haunted House Records (NL) label. Over the years several Dutch producers have released records under the name Trancemission.

So the question is: lumping or splitting? Merging them together, and adding an explanatory note is the easiest thing to do. But I’d like to hear some confirmation that this is what the MB community prefers.

1 Like

I would expect merging, and adding relationships per-release or recording to the producers involved in that one. After all, if a band eventually retains none of the original members but still keeps the name, we don’t split it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Excellent. That is what I was hoping for, so glad to hear you agree.

1 Like

If you have any dates for the different producers, you can add them under the Relationships and attach start \ stop dates to show their different eras.

Haha - and as I type that, I then check. And find Rene Van Der Weyde is already listed as part of the first one even though he is a disambiguation of the third one. Even more reason to merge them all.

1 Like

Yup, some of those artist entries need quite some cleaning up. René van der Weijde lives as “R. Van Der Weyde” , “Rene Van Der Weyde”, “Trancemission” and a bunch of other names on MB, all attached to different releases, but the correct spelling of his name, with é and ij is nowhere to be found.

But that is a different can o’worms.

1 Like

It can be a common problem with artists who live on compilation albums. I’ve had releases like that which I have attempted to enter. When wading through 20+ tracks to link them all up to previous recordings and artists it can be easy to get things confused and wrong. Especially when the compilation is not in my core tastes. The cover art can include typos, or a different variation of a name, and soon we have the split.

As you clearly are aware of the artist this is a classic case of stepping in with Knowledge and give the artist a better presence. Pull in a few more links for his page, give him his Real Name and make it clearer for the next person trying to hunt him down.

I find it quite satisfying putting more flesh on the bones of an artist in MB.

1 Like

That’s what I am trying to do. The heroes from my youth can use a little love :wink:. Thanks

3 Likes

Exactly my thoughts when I am doing this kind of cleanup. Feed back in some love for the years of joy they gave us. And by doing this we help explain to everyone else why that artist is so good.

The side effect of this is you end up learning a lot more about the bands and musicians when chasing up little facts. This place can get addictive :grin:

3 Likes

Created the edit. Up for voting now.

https://musicbrainz.org/edit/64178391

1 Like