Master thread: Is my IP blocked / IP blacklisted / VPN blocked / QNAP / Can't connect to Musicbrainz.org / Picard doesn't work on home network

It seems my IP is blocked as well, despite i do not have a QNAP device.
Tracert ends by a Hetzner Server
My ip is 82.207.238.59

Btw. dnslookup at mxtoolbox doesn’t show a AAAA Record for musicbrainz. Is this correct?

Hey @Voidi

I unblocked your IP, sorry for the inconvenience.
And yes, musicbrainz.org hasn’t a AAAA record yet, because it doesn’t support IPv6 yet, but this is something on the work.

1 Like

Thank your for quick response.

Hi, I think my IP may have been blacklisted as well. I can access MusicBrainz through a proxy but not through my home network.
The traceroute ends at
9 ex9k3.dc8.fsn1.hetzner.com (213.239.229.138) 23.204 ms ex9k3.dc8.fsn1.hetzner.com (213.239.229.142) 24.524 ms 27.272 ms
Thank you

Edit: I use this python script to aid in searching for albums. Maybe that’s being picked up as scraping.

1 Like

@nugget720 what’s your IP?

Hi - I think my IP is also blocked.

Send me your IP to support at metabrainz.org so I can have a look. Thanks.

HI Zas. I have a QNAP NAS and believe I’ve also been blocked. Could you check xxx.xx.xx.xx?

Regards,
Jason

I’m in! :partying_face: Very much appreciated.

edit: Well, I was. Did I get blacklisted again? Just updated the firmware on my NAS 2 days ago, so it shouldn’t be spamming your server anymore.

edit 2: I just disabled the built-in “Music Station” app, which has apparently been causing the issue.

1 Like

I whitelisted your IP, so you should now have access again.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hello, I think that I’m having the same issue.
IP is xxx.xx.xxx.xxx
Can’t open musicbrainz.org website at home!
I have a qnap, how do i stop it giving you grief?

@Zas my ip got banned as well.
ip: 37.120.143.139

Hello.
I have the same issuse. Can you check if ip xx.xx.xx.xxx is blocked.
Regards Nexus

Your IP was associated with a QNAP device, I whitelisted it, sorry for the inconvenience.

1 Like

Hello,

I think I’m facing the same situation. My IP adress is xx.xx.xx.xx.
Possible to check if not blaclisted ?

Thank you in advance.

This IP isn’t blocked on our side. Does the problem persist?

A little internet research and it appears that the offending QNAS app is “Music Station”.

I have no idea which version the fix was provided in, but here is the change log: https://www.qnap.com/en-us/app_releasenotes/list.php?app_choose=MusicStation

The change log has loads of fixes for security vulnerabilities listed, so QNAP security definitely seems to be an issue.

Also, this Music Station app appears to be:
a. Installed by default
b. Enabled by default
c. Have musicbrainz lookups enabled by default
c. Sharing personal data (details of music files) with a 3rd party (musicbrainz) without having gained user permission to do so.
d. Making calls to Musicbrainz despite the user not actually using Music Station streaming or having explicitly stored files for Music Station’s use.
e. Making commercial use of Musicbrainz without being willing to support Metabrainz foundation with a (relatively cheap) support contract: Support - MetaBrainz Foundation
f. Apparently being too stupid to realise that with a partnership with Metabrainz they could deliver a better customer experience, quicker and without drama (i.e. without their customers having their IP addresses banned).

3 Likes

Can’t check at the moment but I’ll let you know soon.

Unfortunately, musicbrainz.org domain/IP is still unreachable…

Are you sure the IP you gave is the IP you have as seen from the internet? Can you check?