Mass change release artist name

Hello, I was tagging some songs and noticed there was an error from the database, the group name “µ’s” was mistakenly put as “μ’s”, difference being the first one has an apostrophe while the latter has a quotation mark, no big deal, I changed it on the database, but I now have to change 41 releases (already did 3) because the group name was changed but each of them have the old name set in the “Artist as credited” field. Is there a way to mass change this tag or I can only do them one by one?

Edit: It looks like also in the forums, the apostrophe is changed to the quotation mark, the original name was put as “µ’s” with the U+2019 unicode character, while the correct one has the U+0027 character.

2 Likes

https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Miscellaneous

Use of basic ASCII punctuation characters such as ' and " is allowed, but typographically-correct punctuation (such as for the English apostrophe) is preferred. The Classical Style Guide has its own rules about punctuation in titles; please follow that guideline where it applies. Use normal Latin letters for Roman numerals: their Unicode versions exist only for compatibility purposes and its use is discouraged by the standard (p.754).

As always, Artist intent overrides this guideline.

3 Likes

Hello, thank you for your response, the thing is, U+0027 apostrophe is the one used on digitally bought releases, official website, official twitter, from the official spotify artist page and youtube topic, also the name was decided by users (though, this source comes from the official magazine in 2010, which I can’t personally verify which character was used), does that count as artist intent?

I found some instances where it is officially written with U+2019 though.

P.S.: Personal thoughts on this matter, U+0027 should be preferred on this instance, since digitally bought songs use this character. If someone tried to tag their ripped CDs, they would get two separate artists, just like what happened to me.

1 Like

The cover art containing the group’s name that I looked at appears to use U+2019:

My interpretation is that text on cover art should typically take precedence over text on online platforms (which frequently normalize text according their own standards, rewrite it for search engine optimization, or introduce outright errors).

3 Likes

Thank you for the responses, just in case will revert back the edits and leave it with U+2019.

5 Likes