Live bootlegs: early/late shows

Sometimes, artists play two shows the same night, at the same venue. However, there doesn’t seem to be any guidelines specifying where/how to put that information in live bootlegs release titles.

It looks a bit messy right now, some examples:

Can we agree on a pattern (and add it to the documentation)?

Personally, I’d favor having that information before the colon, to keep a “date (and time): location” format. Something like either:

• YYYY-MM-DD, early/late show: Venue, City, State/Province, Country
  • YYYY-MM-DD (early/late show): Venue, City, State/Province, Country

But what do you all think? Also, what about capitalization?

7 Likes

Normal capitalization, it’s not really a title (my opinion)

4 Likes

I edit plenty of bootlegs and agree with your placing, as part of the date. And stays lower case.
2008-12-17, early show: Mellon Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, USA

In some cases there is already a title on the bootleg, and that should be kept as it is. I expect this leads to a lot of the inconsistencies.

If this does become a guideline, then the original title of the bootleg needs to take precedent. MB documents what exists now, we are not trying to tidy up people’s music collections.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if this should be made into a guideline, but this idea seems good, in any case. If you feel it would benefit from being a guideline, propose a wording for the guideline page and we can see if people have issues with it and add it if not :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have used variations such as “dinner” and “midnight” or “matinée” and “evening” in some cases, if the shows were listed/advertised as such.

2 Likes

Ok! Maybe something like this:

Additional date information can be added before the colon, in the form: “YYYY-MM-DD, additional information: Venue, City, State/Province, Country”. This should only be used to distinguish events that took place the same day or if the event is advertised as such. Typical examples includes early/late show, dinner, matinée.

And add an example to the existing section:

Thoughts?

6 Likes

Looks good - but you mean “colon (:)” not “semicolon (;)”. Also not sure if you need to say “only”.

1 Like

Yes, sorry about that. I have edited the message accordingly.

2 Likes

Works for me. Updated the guideline :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Awesome, thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I already added lots of entries for Bruce Springsteen and used the disambiguation field
see - Search Results - MusicBrainz

I guess I have to change it now … actually I will … I second the new guldline

3 Likes

This is key to me. Many Bruce Springsteen bootlegs include the early/late show indication in the title.