Lecture-Recital: appropriate to add works relationship?

Andras Schiff has given a series of lecture-recitals on Bethoven’s piano sonatas,
"Schiff on Beethoven"

Is it appropriate to add works relationships to them?
I am guessing that an annotation “lecture-recital” is called for?

(Also; how would I find other lecture-recital releases in the db? I’ve tagged the above release “lecture-recital” but that seems the only clear flag of this release’s form.)

humour: I hope I’ve got the “i” into every case of “recital” above.

1 Like

Hi,

lectures are very much “works”. And you’re right, tags and annotations are currently the best way to identify them.

I think a work type would be the best way to capture this. That type doesn’t currently exist, but is on a long list of potential work types that we brainstormed into existence at one point.

I don’t know if that list (or anything on it) will ever become official, but maybe it will at least inspire the folksonomists out there.

edit: While typing this, I remembered why I’m not very excited about that list. It’s because work types as they are currently implemented are “choose only one”.

2 Likes

I’d be very happy to see that changed eventually, if someone agrees to work on it.

While not a solution for this as such, I do wonder if this release should be marked Spokenword or something like that?

1 Like

I was trying to think of a broad secondary release type that could be added. “Education” or “Instructional” or something?

1 Like

Lectures are often improvised or at least not identical if given twice. Same lecture isn’t performed by multiple persons. Instead of using works I would consider using events to store this data. We could add a type “Lecture” for events. We already have quite similar type Masterclass/clinic.

2 Likes

Since (IIRC) Schiff plays musical extracts of the original works in his lectures, linking to “partial live” works seems appropriate.

I added some years ago Cortot’s lectures also mixing explanations (spoken vocal) and themes played at the piano:

Using your tag on these two releases might be useful (even if “recital” might not be the most precise, masterclass may be better?)

1 Like