Korean name transliteration for sort name and “English” locale

I’ve checked the names guidelines and I haven’t found anything related to Korean names.

Let’s use 박은빈 as an example.

• 박 — family name (Korean culture is family name first)
    • No issue here. Just included for completeness.
  • 은빈 — given name (often two syllables, sometimes three, rarely one).
    • It can be written as:
      • Eunbin. The combined format. Common.
      • EunBin. Combined, but the two syllables are capitalised. Not that common, but there are.
      • Eun-bin. Hyphenated AMA style format. Also common.
      • Eun-Bin. Hyphenated MLA style. Common too.
      • Eun Bin. Yet another common format.

The Revised Romanization of Hangul, the official guide of the Korean government, did not give anything specific regarding this.

The only information we can use are:

• Combined = this format is recently increasing as the preferred by talent agencies / labels (both in music and drama/movies). But not necessarily the artists per se.
  • Combined but syllables are capitalised = example: Kim SeJeong. Her agency once used Kim Se-Jeong for years, a year or two ago, they dropped the hyphen to form “Kim SeJeong”.
  • Hyphenated AMA style = this format can still be seen for non-artists; and generally preferred to give a hint to a non-Korean how to pronounce their name. This is the format used by Wikipedia.
  • Hyphenated MLA style = both names are capitalised. It also makes it easier to see, and those are names.
  • Two separate “words” = avoided if possible because the 2nd syllable is sometimes mistaken as a “middle name”.

In Musicbrainz, all 4 styles above are used for Korean names. Some were probably how the artist or their label prefers it, but there’s too many for it to be a “preferred” name for all the entries.

And then, what to do for those artists who kept on switching between different formats of their name? It’s not frequent but still…

Apologies, I have a lot of questions regarding names. I just want to get it right the first time to avoid going through everything again to conform to a standard.

4 Likes

I’ve seen most common Latin (not English) Korean name style is with hyphen (Park Eun-bin).

But sometimes, artist has a preferred Latin transcription that differs from regular transcription and we should use that, citing our references in edit notes.

1 Like

Alright! Thank you!

At least it’s clearer what is our basic format. :slight_smile:

Sorry I forgot but for the sort name, you should put a comma, I guess:

Park, Eun-bin

1 Like

Ahh, yes. I’ve been wondering about that, forgot to ask. They don’t use a comma when transliterating their names, but Musicbrainz guidelines are to use a comma.

Thank you!