Karaoke versions of albums

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f7574d1a448>

Occasionally when an artist releases an album, an alternate version will be released around the same time with karaoke versions of all the tracks. I don’t know if there’s any formal guidance on whether these karaoke albums should be placed in the source album’s release group or a release group of their own. There’s currently no “karaoke version of” relationship, though I just made a ticket for such. Should these albums be separated out or not? I’m of the opinion that we should, since we already separate out remixes from their source releases.

I’m on the fence for this one. I’d say we should separate instrumental versions of albums (like “Hip Hop Album X: The Instrumentals”) but at the same time, karaoke seems like it’s supposed to be a closer pair to the original than just instrumental. Let’s see what others think :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d say separate. I was told previously than an acoustic and non-acoustic version of a Release (released at the same time) should be put in different RGs, and I don’t see how this is much different. With the “do I have this album?” implicitly question posed on the Release Group definition page I’d say that the two versions are not replacements for each other.

2 Likes

Very good way of telling when we should not merge release groups!
That means we shouldn’t merge original singles and remix singles either, then.
I frequently see those but with this simple question is quite easy to say they shouldn’t.

Related:

1 Like

We should probably update the release group doc to add this good helper question for editors.

2 Likes