Japanese release, European artists - what style guidelines to use?

Hi folks! I need some help from the community with deciding what language style (English or Japanese) to apply for this release: https://musicbrainz.org/release/1ca0e835-a460-4b7c-81a3-2bf8b571f058

This release is made in Japan, by a Japanese label, for the Japanese audience only, there’s never been any other release of this album. But all performers are from Europe (Italy, mostly). The tracklist, as you can see on this image, is completely in English:

So, which language style should we apply to this release (and all others in the We ♥︎ TechPara - MusicBrainz series)?

1 Like

Well, since the tracklist is in English, it should comply with the style guidelines for the English language, methinks.

2 Likes

You can see for the examples I know that we have the Japanese tracklist (eurodance) and the Latin tracklist in the same release group.

Quite same for this other Japanese tracklist (classic) with Latin tracklist in same release group.

@jesus2099
So you suggest to keep the main release using the Japanese rules and create a pseudo release with the English style applied?

@biocv Should we remove this pseudo-release then and apply the English style guide to the main release: https://musicbrainz.org/release/5c489694-8f35-4e29-a8bc-a02436d80a4e ?

I would probably follow Style/Language/English when entering this, i.e. I would interpret the all-caps writing as a graphic designer’s choice and enter the track titles and artist names using normal English title case.

Style/Language/Japanese provides guidance for “names and titles originating in Japan”. If this is a compilation of songs by non-Japanese performers, then I don’t view the titles as having originated in Japan.

But to be completely honest, the Japanese guidelines still don’t make much sense to me. If someone seems to be trying to write “normal” titles in a given language, I think it’d make more sense to follow that language’s guidelines instead of carving out a single exception based on where the artist/release/whatever “is from”, whatever that means. I wish the Japanese guidelines took artist intent into account and only applied to e.g. titles incorporating both Latin and Japanese scripts.

1 Like

This is not possible because see 浜崎あゆみ works where the only non-Latin titles are from rare covers. Except that, all titles are full Latin with very specific (and consistent across recordings) capitalisations.

Well not for DISC 3 at least, where keeping capitalisation should absolutely follow what’s printed.

(but this is not the OP release)

Woops. No I wouldn’t remove anything because the Japanese language guidelines and pseudo-releases are well outside my comfort zone. Best to follow @jesus2099 in these matters, as he appears to be the more experienced editor in these matters.

That being said, the release in the OP looks like an edge case to me, since as you noted the track list is completely in Latin script / English language and the tracks are all by non-Japanese performers. I think it is up to you to decide how to handle this.

Yes but who usually don’t release much outside Japan.
And these are not really compilations, usually.
They are techno/eurodance/etc. Various artist albums, initiated by avex trax Japanese label.

But I don’t feel really against using English case.
Just that if it’s already in full caps by another editor, I won’t challenge that.
It’s an edge case, indeed. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ah, You are right. I only recognized Cappella and didn’t bother to check the other artists. My bad.

??? Did you really mean to type “villains”? If you got that impression, I must have been expressing myself rather poorly. :laughing:

1 Like

Ha ha, no I meant compilations, but my phone swipe keyboard is often correcting me badly. :sweat_smile:

Thank goodness. That makes more sense, haha. :laughing: